Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Neurodreamer that never worked

alistir

Mar 19, 2014
So my boyfriend got me this Neurodreamer for my birthday. Yay! However, it has never worked. Apparently they did a substandard job soldering on the battery packs and fried a bunch of stuff into the realm of non-functionality on a lot of their models. They won't give us a new battery pack and they won't replace the item with one that would work with American outlets without needing an additional adapter. I want this thing to work and the company isn't being terribly helpful. However, they are opensource! The schematics are here:

http://cornfieldelectronics.com/neurodreamer/media/schematic.pdf

I'd like to replace the pack with something, my noob brain tells me that I could just feed it coins, but it would probably gobble up vast quantities of coins and not really be worth it in the long run. Any ideas on replacement parts? As far as I know the charger probably works... maybe... if they didn't mess that up as well...

Hope to hear back before I e-tape a coin to a hole just to see what happens. This things smells weird..... BUT I MUST KNOW OF THE WONDER OF THE BLINKY LIGHTS!

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
Here's the datasheet for the CN3052A which is the regulator/charge controller for the battery pack: http://www.consonance-elec.com/pdf/datasheet/DSE-CN3052A.pdf

For a power adapter, you need a 120V wall wart that puts out between 4.5 and 6V DC and has a plug that matches the size and polarity of the included adapter (you could cut that plug off and splice it in if needed). That'll take care of getting it to work with "American outlets".

As for the battery pack, go to a Batteries Plus store (if there are any in your area) and they should be able to get you a battery. You just need a single-cell Li-Ion battery pack of a comparable mAH rating as the original.

Or you could remove the CN3052A entirely and use a lithium coin cell or two AA batteries. I don't know how long they'll last, it depends on how much current the thing draws.