Maker Pro
Maker Pro

New 12v power circuit help

tenmen

Oct 5, 2012
Hello I am fairly new to electronics please bare with me. I have taken a 12v 18ah lead acid battery and put into a ABS box, I have then linked a couple of cigar sockets and 1 USB socket so I can connect iPhones and other 12v devices.

I have connected a female jack socket direct to the battery so I can recharge with a 500ma trickle charge, initially I added a diode across the jack socket connecting an LED - this was so you had a visual indication when connected to the charging source, I have since had charging problems and found that the diode affected the intelligent trickle charger so removed it completely.

I have also added a fuse from the 12v Battery to the output sockets, it is a very simple circuit but can it be improved in any way?

I would draw it but essentially the cigar sockets are all connected directly to the battery via an on/off switch and I have added the inline fuse for safety.any help would be appriceated

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
Seems unusual for a trickle charge to be intelligent. The idea of a trickle charge is to deliver a small current without any restrictions. You can charge 18Ahr battery all the time at 500mA without it gassing.

tenmen

Oct 5, 2012
The charger was one that fast charged, then conditioned the battery the manufacturer told us that the diode would affect its performance......On this simple circuit is there a better way to enhance?