Maker Pro
Maker Pro

New here and looking for advice about a PIR activated stepper motor and audio source.

Paulws1953

Jul 24, 2020
Hello.
New here, so hello to all. I have some electronic experience but from a few years back. I understand what most traditional components do and built quite a few items utilising 555/556 timers. I refurbush guitars and there is a very limited amount of electronics involved. However, building circuits to create on-board effects is something I'm starting to consider.
This project is simpler, I hope. I have a static caravan on a holiday site in Norfolk and Seagulls and Pigeons tap dancing on the roof all night is an issue. There is no real cure as they quickly accept stationary silent hawk style scarers. I'd like to use a Battery and PIR controlled Falcon or Owl bird scarer which rotates on its base and emits a hunting call. Simple to buy the decoy and it has a hollow base for fittings, but I'm lost as far as the audio goes.
I really hope this isn't too basic for this forum, but we all start somewhere.
Thanks for any help offered.
Paul

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Seagulls are almost impossible to get rid of.
I had a static on the south coast when my children were younger. We all tried kites on fishing rods, spinning CDs etc. But the ‘tap dancing’ continued.
The site management didn’t care and wouldn’t allow add-ons to deter them. My roof was a health hazard. I was allowed to maintain it by cleaning. I told the management that I’m changing the shingle sheets for tiles. I put 2x4 around the edges and also along the ridge. To that, I stapled a roll of gardeners mesh. Left it like that for the summer. It worked a treat. Had the odd couple getting their feet caught but it stopped after a couple of weeks.
A neighbour had his short lived idea too. He would throw several bags of chips onto the site office roof about 1am. They were then sleeping before they returned.

Gel tape works. Doesn't stop them landing but stops the ‘tap dancing’.

PIR to activate a small geared motor for the decoy is simple enough.
A recordable sound module for models might work, though they might be too loud. You’d have to try some out in the early quiet hours. Lowering the volume might not be loud enough to scare them.

Martin

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Try strong mustard or chilli powder in a gel spread on the roof.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
I was thinking maybe I'd try covering the roof with some mouse sticky-traps,
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...use+glue+.TRS0&_nkw=mouse+glue+traps&_sacat=0
But anchor them on plywood or something light enough not to strain the roof but heavy enough (or also anchored) that the gulls & pigeons can't fly away with them stuck to their feet. Never tested to see if those birds are as smart as they're supposed to be, but I suspect they'll learn not to land on plywood/cardboard squares on rooftops.

In the mornings, you can decide whether they have enough meat to be worth harvesting, or just turn them loose and see if they've learned anything.