Maker Pro
Maker Pro

new here

jimtr6

Jun 16, 2010
Hello, I just ordered some 16F84 pics, a programmer and decided on using a program called FlowCode to write my programs, I like the visual aspect of Flowcharts. Right now I know nothing but I like the things these PICS can do. Is there a favorite place for acquiring things like LCD displays made for PICs...thanks

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there,

dont know what country you are in ??
here in Australia, Jaycar and Altronics have a good selection of project books and
components for making PIC based projects

cheers
Dave
PS its always nice to sign with your name :)

jimtr6

Jun 16, 2010
thanks Dave, I'm in Vermont in the USA, I know most if not all everything I get will be by mail order or ebay. Being new to the PIC it's important I learn and grasp them more than save money on transactions so I'm looking for an outlet with decent tech support if needed even if their prices are higher.
One basic question I have right off the bat is about "source code", is this the hex code, there are words I need explained like "compiler, assembler, third party, high level language etc. again, any help is appreciated.....regards, jim

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
One basic question I have right off the bat is about "source code", is this the hex code, there are words I need explained like "compiler, assembler, third party, high level language etc. again, any help is appreciated

Source code - code that is written by you to control a process. It can be written in any number of programming languages.

High level programming language - C, C++, Lisp, Basic as apposed to a low level language like ASM.

Assembler - is like a compiler, except it is used to translate ASM into machine code.

Compiler - this is the program that compiles high level language source code into machine code.

third party - example, most applications that run on microsoft os's are made by third party software companies.

Now, since I only outlined the rough details of what these are, you should take the extra time to search the wikipedia for FULL in DETAIL explanations. Here is one link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_language