Maker Pro
Maker Pro

New Member, New to Electronics, Looking for some help!

Doc_K

Feb 3, 2015
Greetings everyone! I'm very new to the electronics world, and looking for some help. I recently purchased an Electronics for Dummies book, but the thing is huge that I'm trying to read the thing little, by little, each day.

My dilemma is, that I'm trying to find a way to run two 12V motors at the same time, with a remote relay, but I want them to spin simultaneously, but in a certain pattern of bursts. I want to be able to switch between two different patterns at the switch of a button. Is there a way I can do this, but keep it simple? Any help is a appreciated! I'd love to know where to start looking, or possibly some websites to buy quality parts from. Thank you!

Ian

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Few things you will need to clarify.
Size (current draw) and type of the 12v motors
Will the supply for the motors be at the same end as the motors or elsewhere.
Did you want wired remote or wireless
Don't know what you mean by (and others will be guessing also) "a certain pattern of bursts"
Is it necessary for the 2 motors to run at exactly the same speed

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Yeah. I think you need to supply more specific information about what you want to do.
I'm thinking you want something that rotates at a slow speed, as in some type of display. As opposed to motors running at a couple thousand rpm. (but we don't know that).
We need specifics to see if you need the motors sync'd in their rotations, geared-down, what exactly your pattern of bursts entails.
You don't need to be shy about telling us what you want to do. What people want to build on their own interests all of us.
The more specific you are, the better the flurry of ideas you'll get from people here.

Doc_K

Feb 3, 2015
Hey guys! Sorry for the late reply. And thanks for responding! I'm trying to run a rechargeable battery to a remote relay that goes to a 12V motor. My goal is to have a fast pulsing current when I turn on the relay, instead of a steady flow of electricity, so the motor turns off and on maybe 6 times a second or faster. (Does that make better sense?). My other goal is to have two motors controlled by the remote relay, and have the current alternate from motor to motor at a rapid pace, so when the relay is on, the motors don't spin at the same time but while one is off, the other turns on and while the other turns off the other turns on, so both rapidly spin intermittently. Is there another relay I'll have to run to do this, or will I need something more complex? Thank you!!!

Example:

1st goal:
Regular current in one second: _____________
The current I want in one second(with the asterisks being time the motor is not spinning: _*_*_*_*_*_*

2nd goal:

1st motor: *_*_*_*_*_*_
2nd motor: _*_*_*_*_*_*

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
What you seem to be describing is PWM.
I wouldn't try to switch a mechanical relay like that as it will not last very long.
What current do you expect to draw with each motor.?
If you need a pattern, you will obviously require a micro to control any output buffers.
This in turn will require programming experience.

Doc_K

Feb 3, 2015
I'm not even sure what type of current yet. I just wanted to get it to rapidly turn on and off, haha. Forgive me for my ignorance! :)

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
What do you expect to happen when you pulse the current 6 times per second?

Bob

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Vibration is normally done by using an eccentric cam on the shaft. You might get it to vibrate a bit by turning it off and on at 6Hz, but it will likely not be a dramatic as the usual method.

Bob

Doc_K

Feb 3, 2015
I'm familiar with how a vibrational motor works, but I'm trying to get it from going BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ to BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ in 1 second. I have no idea how to do this.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Turning the power on and off 6 times a second might do that, but it might not. There is inertial in the vibrator motor and I will probably not start and stop cleanly in that time. But it is worth a try. An NE555 timer IC could do this easily.

Bob