Maker Pro
Maker Pro

new to electronics. need help understanding a circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvangordon

Mar 28, 2016
So I've been trying to figure out how to build a flash to make an external flash unit for a camera. I have learned a lot about electronics and especially about how a basic flash circuit works but am still trying to figure out some basics as I have no background education toward electronics whatsoever. Hasn't even been a hobby until now.

I looked up a lot of info online and figured out how most of a flash works but I'm still figuring out how some of the other parts work.
http://www.diyphotography.net/how-to-build-a-flash-with-an-optical-slave/
In this article here it explains how major parts work and then says the other parts in the circuit are fixed components and doesn't explain what they are doing. That just so happens to be the part I would like to know.

I'm guessing that the trigger transformer in the circuit still needs an AC current to work and that is the purpose of the other transistor? I know the other capacitor is there because the trigger transformer has an input voltage of a few hundred volts.

My ultimate goal is to make a basic flash like this but with an LED indicator light for when the main capacitor is full and not to have it triggered optically but with a hotshoe that can be connected either the the camera or with a remote trigger. But for now just trying to increase my understanding of this type of flash. Help is much appreciated. :)

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP!
This is NOT a project for someone new to electronics. The slightest error could be FATAL.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Welcome to EP!
This is NOT a project for someone new to electronics. The slightest error could be FATAL.

agreed

highly dangerous for someone who admits to being new to electronics

pick on something easier and much lower voltage for your earlier projects
and learn to walk before you run

thread closed

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
We not being able to supervise you directly, have no idea if you really know what you are doing or not.
You plainly stated your inexperience and this is enough, considering the high voltage capabilities of this circuit to warrant us to close the thread
None of us here want to be responsible for you not following instructions carefully and being involved with your or someone elses death or injury
We have to consider the legal ramifications if someone in your family sued us individually or collectively because of your death or injury .... Its the world we live in
we have to protect ourselves from litigation

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.