Maker Pro
Maker Pro

New TV or Router?

StevenTitch

Aug 21, 2021
Occasionally my Vizio Smart TV loses its internet connection. My PC & phone will be fine & my TV not. Do I need a stronger WiFi router or a new TV?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I take it the TV is connected to the router via WiFi? How good is the WiFi signal strength at the TV's location? If the signal is good or very good, then the TV may be to blame for the loss of connection. If the signal is low or very low, it's the WiFi connection, but not necessarily router or tv alone. A new router or tv may not help in that case. You could try a WiFi repeater to improve the signal strength and thus the stability of the connection.

StevenTitch

Aug 21, 2021
Usually go into the settings on my TV and reboot it, but the last time, that didn't work and neither did turning my surge protector off & back on and turning my TV back on, didn't work, so I decided to try rebooting my router and it worked. That's what confused me. I used to have a Printer/Scanner/Copier from HP and they said not to plug it into a surge protector, but my area has frequent, momentary power outages and I'm afraid not to have my electronics plugged into surge protectors. Those frequent power outages ruined the router I was renting from my internet provider

crutschow

May 7, 2021
used to have a Printer/Scanner/Copier from HP and they said not to plug it into a surge protector,
I can't see why that would be a problem, since all the surge protector does is clamp the AC voltage peaks above a certain voltage.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I have this very same issue with a smart TV too. A JVC pcworld piece of rubbish.
The issue for me is leaving it on standby and it not reconnecting to WiFi when switched on.
It seems to auto return to ‘wired’ connection. My only solution is to unplug the darn thing each time this happens. Must be a software issue and with no updates available. Naturally, JVC say it’s not their TV but re-badged rubbish for pcworld. Pcworld say to contact JVC!.
Most routers goes through updates each night which the TV can’t see unless it’s unplugged and powered again. Just my 2 cents..

Martin

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Maybe add a WiFi to LAN bridge next to the TV to connect the TV by LAN cable to the bridge? Much less expensive than either a new TV or router.
router <> WiFi <---long distance-----> WiFi to LAN bridge <> TV​

I use powerline in a similar configuration and it runs very stable:
router <> powerline adapter <---long distance---->- powerline adapter <> TV​

You may have to look out for a bridge that supports IpTV.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
Alternately, the TV may just be insensitive to the WiFi signal and a WiFi booster close to the TV may help.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Not sure if the last two comments were for me or the OP but my TV is 1m away from the router. I’ll just hard wire it again.

Martin