Maker Pro
Maker Pro

newbe help with schematic to breadboard

stspringer

May 10, 2019
Hello all,
I would like a schematic to breadboard tutorial with clear pictures and explanation for an American traffic light system, light duration times are not that important to me, Red stays on for say approx 1 minute then goes immediately to green, stays on say a minute, then goes to yellow, for say 15 seconds, as warning, then back to red then repeat all over again.

I found many for the UK traffic lights and got confused transferring to breadboard.

I am new to electronics, it's a hobby for me. I am not clear on how to go from schematic to breadboard, making the connections, with the wires. I get confused.

Can anyone help me understand how to hookup the wire to the breadboard just by looking at the schematic.

I would like to use these components and here is the schematic too. See attachment
  • 1x NE555 IC
  • 1x CD4017 counter IC
  • 1x 10uF Capacitor
  • 1x 0.1uF Capacitor
  • 3x LEDs (Red, Yellow/Orange, Green)
  • 3x 100 ohm Resistors
  • 2x 100K Resistors
  • 1x 22K Resistor
  • 6x IN4007 or 1n4148 Diodes

Attachments

• Traffic_light_schematic_edit_1.jpg
    Traffic_light_schematic_edit_1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 13

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Most breadboards use a standard format, with the 2 or 3 power rails for +ve 0 -ve.
the various conductor rails are 5 point all perpendicular to the power rails, IC's etc straddle the centre positioned blank strip.
Just start slow with a couple of simple circuits and you will get the hang of it.
There is no 'formal' method.
Max.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
The circuit is based on the idea that each light period is a multiple of a basic "tick", the output period of the 555. From your description, if you set the tick to 15 seconds, then the sequence is this:

Red - 4 ticks
Green - 4 ticks
Yellow - 1 tick
repeat

A total of 9 ticks fits well within the CD4017's count range.

BUT

The circuit you posted does not do what you want; everything is off a little bit.

First, one tick out of the 555 is about 2.1 seconds. so things will move along much faster than you want.

Second, here is what the decoding looks like:

Red - 5 ticks
Yellow - 1 tick overlaps last red tick
Green - 4 ticks
Yellow - 1 tick

Changing the circuit to do what you want will take

8 diodes instead of 6
1 - 1K ohm resistor instead of 3 100 ohm
1 - 150K resistor instead of 2 100K
1 - 47 uF capacitor instead of 1 10 uF

Because of the way the 4017 works, you need only one current limiting resistor to protect all of the LEDs. However, 100 ohms is way too small. The 4017 can source only 1 or 2 mA at 5 V. That is why I changed the value to 1K.

Don't worry about the 555 changes just yet. Download the 4017 datasheet and try to rework the schematic for your pattern requirements.

ak

Last edited:

stspringer

May 10, 2019
Most breadboards use a standard format, with the 2 or 3 power rails for +ve 0 -ve.
the various conductor rails are 5 point all perpendicular to the power rails, IC's etc straddle the centre positioned blank strip.
Just start slow with a couple of simple circuits and you will get the hang of it.
There is no 'formal' method.
Max.
Thanks I will keep trying

stspringer

May 10, 2019
The circuit is based on the idea that each light period is a multiple of a basic "tick", the output period of the 555. From your description, if you set the tick to 15 seconds, then the sequence is this:

Red - 4 ticks
Green - 4 ticks
Yellow - 1 tick
repeat

BUT

The circuit you posted does not do what you want; everything is off a little bit.

First, one tick out of the 555 is about 2.1 seconds. so things will move along much faster than you want.

Red - 5 ticks
Green - 4 ticks
Yellow - 1 tick

8 diodes instead of 6

Because of the way the 4017 works, you need only one current limiting resistor to protect all of the LEDs. However, 100 ohms is way too small. The 4017 can source only 1 or 2 mA at 5 V. That is why I changed the value to 1K.

ak

Thanks but way over my head

stspringer

May 10, 2019
Thanks but way over my head
Do you have a schematic of such a circuit?

8 diodes instead of 6

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Hello all,
I would like a schematic to breadboard tutorial with clear pictures and explanation for an American traffic light system, light duration times are not that important to me, Red stays on for say approx 1 minute then goes immediately to green, stays on say a minute, then goes to yellow, for say 15 seconds, as warning, then back to red then repeat all over again.

I found many for the UK traffic lights and got confused transferring to breadboard.

I am new to electronics, it's a hobby for me. I am not clear on how to go from schematic to breadboard, making the connections, with the wires. I get confused.

Can anyone help me understand how to hookup the wire to the breadboard just by looking at the schematic.

Forget the circuit you posted for the moment and concentrate on how to use the breadboard according to a "simple" diagram.

Jumping in the deep end so-to-speak is never a good idea.

Start simple with battery, LED and a resistor and work your way up.

Many youtube tutorials are available.

Example here...........

stspringer

May 10, 2019
Thank you Bluejets,
You are correct. I finally did figure it out looking at some less complicated schematics. Then I went back to my traffic light schematic.
I was confused on jumper wires and on where a node stops or starts.
Anyway the circuit I did is for a english UK stoplight system. AnalogKid said I deeded the following to make a US system traffic lighr

8 diodes instead of 6

Don't worry about the 555 changes just yet. Download the 4017 datasheet and try to rework the schematic for your pattern requirements.

ak

Do you happen to know how to create this US traffic signal? Do you have a schematic for me?

Thanks for any help.

I asked analogkid did not get a response for a schematic will try again. :)

stspringer

May 10, 2019

Red - 4 ticks
Green - 4 ticks
Yellow - 1 tick
repeat

BUT

Red - 5 ticks
Green - 4 ticks
Yellow - 1 tick

8 diodes instead of 6

ak
Hello AK,
I figured out my schematic thank you for your help.
Can you please send me a schematic of what you said I needed for a uS trafic signal?

Thank You

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
I figured out my schematic thank you for your help. Can you please send me a schematic of what you said I needed for a uS trafic signal?
Please post your schematic first. What you've figured out will change what I post.

ak

stspringer

May 10, 2019
Please post your schematic first. What you've figured out will change what I post.

ak
This is the original UK traffic light schematic that I figured out how to transfer to my breadboard. You said I need more diodes to make it US traffic system.plus other resistors etc. Please send me a schematic of that
thank you
John G.

Attachments

• Traffic_light_schematic_edit_1.jpg
    Traffic_light_schematic_edit_1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 4

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
If you go to "talkingelectronics" web site, there are many circuits there for beginners including I believe your requirements.

Link below will take you to the "interactive" section and scroll down the left side menus to a yellow section "traffic lights".

These open up in to more and more circuits and tutorials.

Also there are many free book there that will help you.

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/te_interactive_index.html

Last edited:

stspringer

May 10, 2019
If you go to "talkingelectronics" web site, there are many circuits there for beginners including I believe your requirements.

Link below will take you to the "interactive" section and scroll down the left side menus to a yellow section "traffic lights".

These open up in to more and more circuits and tutorials.

Also there are many free book there that will help you.

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/te_interactive_index.html
Thank You much

stspringer

May 10, 2019
Here is the UK schematic of traffic light system with my explanation of what went through my thought process. Please tell me what you think.

Attachments

• traffic_signal_schematic_with_explanation_1.jpg
    traffic_signal_schematic_with_explanation_1.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

stspringer

May 10, 2019
Here is my working breadboard of UK traffic light system

Attachments

• 20190512_131756.jpg
    20190512_131756.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 5

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I did not trace it out but one point, get yourself some dupont jumper cables from Ebay.
They come in a variety of lengths and types i,e, male each end, female each end or male one end female the other.
Using cable too large for the breadboard will eventually open up the contact underneath and you will end up with poor contact if a lesser diameter cable is fitted.
Also note the breadboard is for temporary setup.
Once a design is acceptable, best to make something more permanent.

stspringer

May 10, 2019
I did not trace it out but one point, get yourself some dupont jumper cables from Ebay.
They come in a variety of lengths and types i,e, male each end, female each end or male one end female the other.
Using cable too large for the breadboard will eventually open up the contact underneath and you will end up with poor contact if a lesser diameter cable is fitted.
Also note the breadboard is for temporary setup.
Once a design is acceptable, best to make something more permanent.

Thanks I have those jumpers too