Maker Pro
Maker Pro

newbie: duplicating oscilloscope image on a TV

T

tg

Jan 1, 1970
is this possible? I have a scopex 14D-15 and I was hoping to be able to capture the oscilloscopes image and record it using a PC
capture card. Obviously the first step is finding a video output on the oscilloscope. There's socket on the front called 'EXT' but
I'm not sure exactly what this is for. I know it must mean external but I don't know if it's an output socket or input one and I
don't want to damage the scope.
ps: I haven't yet tried pointing my video camera at the oscilloscope screen but I'll try that if there's no other options. Thanks
for any help.

J

jasen

Jan 1, 1970
is this possible? I have a scopex 14D-15 and I was hoping to be able to capture the oscilloscopes image and record it using a PC
capture card. Obviously the first step is finding a video output on the oscilloscope. There's socket on the front called 'EXT' but
I'm not sure exactly what this is for. I know it must mean external but I don't know if it's an output socket or input one and I
ps: I haven't yet tried pointing my video camera at the oscilloscope screen but I'll try that if there's no other options. Thanks
for any help.

most CRTs don't scan the display like a TV does (meaning the camera is
your only option)

W

webpa

Jan 1, 1970
tg said:
for any help.

No, it is not possible, except by photographing the oscilloscope's
image with a camera. Reason is that the 'scope does not display an
"image"...it displays a "trace". Meaning that the visible spot created
by an electron beam is deflected by separate X and Y signals. X is
usually the (internally-generated) time base; Y is usually the (scaled)
input voltage. On some 'scopes, there is a Z input which amounts to
the intensity (brightness) of the beam. So, what you see on the
'scope's tube has no resemblence to a "picture" in the television
sense.

The "EXT" port on your 'scope is almost certainly an input for
externally triggering the beam sweep (external time-base). It has
nothing to do with the "picture" on the 'scope's tube. On some
'scopes, you can feed an external composite (video+sync) signal into
the EXT port for working on video circuits.