Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Newbie help please- Omron relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim11787

Jul 13, 2018
Hi- I apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum. I need to replace an Omron G8P-UA-006206 PCB Mount relay. It is rated at 30 amp/250 volt. I have not been able to locate a replacement part number. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
PS I read and tried the thread on how to search components- no luck.

Last edited:

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
That series was slated for obsolescence in Apr 2015 so you may have to find a sub by the same footprint.
Is this the stake-on or PCCT version?
A pic may help.
M.

Jim11787

Jul 13, 2018
That series was slated for obsolescence in Apr 2015 so you may have to find a sub by the same footprint.
Is this the stake-on or PCCT version?
A pic may help.
M.
It is a PCB mount. I believe I found a replacement. Thanks for your reply!

T R

Nov 30, 2018
It is a PCB mount. I believe I found a replacement. Thanks for your reply!
I also need one for my appliance ... Could you please tell me what is the modern replacement part number for the Omron G8P-UA-006206 PCB Mount relay? Or perhaps, what is the coil voltage for the Omron G8P-UA-006206? Thank you :)

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir T R . . . . .

You didn't quite give enough info to be able to ascertain the coil rating on that relay.

On this example given, the third line down tells us that it is having 12VDC coil.

And below that, one can see that the units contacts are being of a single pole single throw action in a normally open condition.

If the coil voltage agrees with yours, does this look that this would be your relay ?

https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Ele..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=4TCQ97R277B6E5RB1PEA

73's de Edd
. . . . . . . . . . .

NEWS FLASH ! ! !

Nigerian man dies and authorities find $27 billion dollars in his apartment.
He had been trying to give it away for 15 years, but no one would return his E-mails.

T R

Nov 30, 2018
Sir T R . . . . .

You didn't quite give enough info to be able to ascertain the coil rating on that relay.

On this example given, the third line down tells us that it is having 12VDC coil.

And below that, one can see that the units contacts are being of a single pole single throw action in a normally open condition.

If the coil voltage agrees with yours, does this look that this would be your relay ?

https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Ele..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=4TCQ97R277B6E5RB1PEA

73's de Edd
. . . . . . . . . . .

NEWS FLASH ! ! !

Nigerian man dies and authorities find $27 billion dollars in his apartment.
He had been trying to give it away for 15 years, but no one would return his E-mails.
Hi de Edd,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes that relay you refer to on Amazon is physically the same, and has the same AC contact ratings, as mine that I need to replace, but I don't know the DC voltage of mine. Can you determine what my Omron G8P-UA-006206 coil voltage is?

73s (Best regards) to you, too; I'm also a Ham.

T R

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir . . .Tee R'uh

O.K. . . . . . then, lets just win by default, by using the OMRON manufacturers Da-Da Sheet for that unit.
This identifies your bottom of unit terminals of interest . . . and as you can see . . . there is being one Hell of an ohmic difference between the different coils resistive specifications.

With my strongest suspicion, of the use of a relay with a 9-12 or 15 Volt coil.
VERY surprised that yours was not stamped ,as my supplied examples pic was showing.

So o o o o . . . . . pull out ye olde tyme ohmmeter and see what your unit is being . . . . . . forbid an open coil . . . . but I expect your primary failure mode to be for that unit as having pitted, eroded and erratic contacts, with possible additional loss of tempering of those contacts support leaves.

Thaaaaaaaassssssssssssss-it . . . . . .

VISUAL REFERENCING . . . . .

upload_2018-11-30_12-26-22.png

73's de Edd
. . . . . . . . . . . .

NORMAL

Now what exactly is NORMAL?

It . . . . is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for, in order to get to the job that you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house, that you leave vacant all day, so that you can afford to lightly live in it.. . . . . sleep overnight . . . . in order to be able to . . . . . .

Last edited:

T R

Nov 30, 2018
Sir . . .Tee R'uh

O.K. . . . . . then, lets just win by default, by using the OMRON manufacturers Da-Da Sheet for that unit.
This identifies your bottom of unit terminals of interest . . . and as you can see . . . there is being one Hell of an ohmic difference between the different coils resistive specifications.

With my strongest suspicion, of the use of a relay with a 9-12 or 15 Volt coil.
VERY surprised that yours was not stamped ,as my supplied examples pic was showing.

So o o o o . . . . . pull out ye olde tyme ohmmeter and see what your unit is being . . . . . . forbid an open coil . . . . but I expect your primary failure mode to be for that unit as having pitted, eroded and erratic contacts, with possible additional loss of tempering of those contacts support leaves.

Thaaaaaaaassssssssssssss-it . . . . . .

VISUAL REFERENCING . . . . .

View attachment 44030

73's de Edd
. . . . . . . . . . . .

NORMAL

Now what exactly is NORMAL?

It . . . . is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for, in order to get to the job that you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house, that you leave vacant all day, so that you can afford to lightly live in it.. . . . . sleep overnight . . . . in order to be able to . . . . . .
Great Edd, thanks!

Now I have finally also found a datasheet showing the coil resistance vs. voltage at http://www.omronkft.hu/pdf_en/g8p.pdf
I'll be able to determine the rated voltage by measuring the coil with an ohmmeter as you suggest. IMG_3415Crop.jpg
So though still unable to find the correct datasheet for the exact G8P-UA-006206, it looks like you've steered to a good solution.
Yes, my relay doesn't have the coil voltage printed on it, as I hope the attached photo shows. It's in a Thermador (now Bosch) SC302ZS built-in oven from about 2002; the broiler element shorted out and it appears that the relay has also failed with it.

Many thanks, and Happy Holidays!

T R

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Have you had the board out and checked the reverse side?
In most if not all of this types of failure I found the relay pin and foil blown off due to small area connection.
When replacing the relay i usually use something like copper braid used for desoldering called dry-wick, and use it to beef up and repair the foil and relay connection.
M.

T R

Nov 30, 2018
Have you had the board out and checked the reverse side?
In most if not all of this types of failure I found the relay pin and foil blown off due to small area connection.
When replacing the relay i usually use something like copper braid used for desoldering called dry-wick, and use it to beef up and repair the foil and relay connection.
M.
Hi Minder,
Thanks for the input. You are right that the foil may be burned off, and possibly the relay may not be damaged -- I haven't actually removed the board and inspected the back side yet because the oven's being used a lot these holidays! But I will, and do have solder wick and am good at rework.
FYI: I heard directly back directly from OMRON that the G8P-UA-006206 relay was customer-proprietary and the specifications are not available.

Best regards,

T R

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
They look like a typical outline for these relays so you most likely will find a sub with the same footprint, if possible it is worth changing the relay, even if it is foil blown.
I will check my stock to see if i have one with that foot print still.
M.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
One tip if changing these PCT relays is if it is fitted totally sealed but fitted with a vent 'pip', is to cut or lever the vent pip off to open it to the atmosphere, these are generally there to prevent ingress of flux etc, but if left sealed can cause premature failure due to ionization of the interior.
Looks like they are fitted in the corner on your picture.
M.

ETR

Dec 31, 2018
Hello all. It seems that I need to replace that exact same relay on my Jenn Air oven. I would greatly appreciate knowing what the current replacement relay would be, as I can rework the existing board. As with Jim I have limited info on the coil voltage but the part number on the defective unit is exactly the same, G8P-UA-006206. Please let me know what replacement relay you used and how it worked? Thanks!

T R

Nov 30, 2018
Hello all. It seems that I need to replace that exact same relay on my Jenn Air oven. I would greatly appreciate knowing what the current replacement relay would be, as I can rework the existing board. As with Jim I have limited info on the coil voltage but the part number on the defective unit is exactly the same, G8P-UA-006206. Please let me know what replacement relay you used and how it worked? Thanks!

Hi ETR,

I haven’t done my repair yet, because it requires completely removing and taking apart the oven and the lady who owns it won’t let anyone touch it until the holidays are over. I expect to begin looking into it within a week or so. My guess is that the relay is okay but the traces burned, so I may only need to patch up the board. I’ll probably be able to measure the coil resistance at that time, which could help us determine a new replacement relay from the currently publicly-available Omron G8Ps. I should know the root cause and solution within about two weeks.

T R

ETR

Dec 31, 2018
Hello all, thanks for the quick replies. I was hoping to save myself a few steps by using the experience of others on this blog that may have actually replaced this particular relay and put it on line. It always helps to know what to watch for when using parts that aren't exact replacements but have the same specs. Waiting to hear about real life practices.
ETR

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If using a sub relay and the contact declaration is about the same, just measure the coil resistance to compare, but relays of the same footprint and type, voltage etc, are not going to be That far off, at least enough to worry about.
M.

Dosman77

Jan 28, 2019
Got some clues from this forum but noticed that there are no definitive conclusions of replacements of these relays. Just replaced relays K1, K2, & K3 with G8P-1A4P 12 V, and Relay K8 with G8P1C4P 12V. Did not bench test the transformer to see which voltage was exactly required, but all is working now so output from the transformer must be within -25% and +20% of 12 V as specified in the G8 data sheet as my Thermador SC 272T with replacement relays fired right up.

T R

Nov 30, 2018
Solved! ... And it was not a bad relay. The PCB trace near the relay was burned open. I repaired the trace with a short piece of wire and now my oven's broiler works again.

Status
Not open for further replies.