Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Newbie here need help with a type of switch

Nate288

Dec 31, 2015
Hello
I'm fairly new to making circuits but I do have a small amount of knowledge as well as concept and could use some help with a project. I want to make a simple circuit a row of LED's with 2 push button switches (Switch 1=A? Switch 2=B IE a car door jamb switch) when A is pressed closing the circuit powers on the LED's and stays on till B is deactivating the circuit and resets A. basically I want to make something like how when a car door is open it turns on the courtesy lights but I want a push button switch to turn on the lights and when the door is closed it resets the push button so when the door is opened again the light only turns back on when the push button switch is pressed again. What kind of push button would switch A be? or do they even make such a thing? any help or info would be greatly greatly appreciated thanks and sorry if this seems a little unclear
Nate288

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Is this to be used in a car door or as just push buttons on a bench or whatever..?
Sounds to me like you only need one switch. Normally closed when the door is open.

Nate288

Dec 31, 2015
I want to use it in my jeep in the rear cargo area the stock dome light itself is manually operated as well as disconnected from the doors and doesn't light the back of the vehicle up. just wanted a cool project to add something a little different if it could be done

Nate288

Dec 31, 2015
and sorry to answer your question its to be used in the tail gate for the reset/cut off (the door jamb switch) and a mounted on switch in the cargo area

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
but I want a push button switch to turn on the lights and when the door is closed it resets the push button so when the door is opened again the light only turns back on when the push button switch is pressed again

OK. Best I can make of your request is the quote I have "cut-out" of the rest.

This seems like a simple start/stop. It can be done with 1 normally open switch( your dash push button), one normally closed switch (your door switch) and a double pole single throw relay.
First circuit shown below is a conventional circuit for this but you may be able to modify it to accomodate a standard automotive door switch for your "stop" control as shown in drawing 2.

Circuit works thus..... door open , stop sw closed, nothing turns on.
door open, stop sw closed, push start and relay energises.
When relay energises it's 2 sets of contacts close,
1 set is a "hold-in" for the start button which can now be released.
Second set turns on you LEDs.

Close the door and the stop switch is now open, relay drops out as do it's contacts, releasing the "hold-in" and turning off the LEDs.

Attachments

• LED Control.jpg
    LED Control.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 60
  • Led Control 2.jpg
    Led Control 2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 108

Nate288

Dec 31, 2015
yeah that makes sense now I completely over looked a relay and made things harder then they needed to be lol. Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out

GPG

Sep 18, 2015
Since the LEDs are on when the relay is energised the Leds can be connected across the relay coil eliminating the second contact. Assuming I have interpreted your instructions