Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Newbie needing some assistance with a project.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Glad I could help you, I am but a newbie here too. This is a search I would use to help you find what you are looking for. Remember to come back and post your success. Good luck!

Aperturelab

May 6, 2016
Sorry I've taken so long to post progress. While trying to wire my ic chip up, i think i somehow blew it out. So i had to order a new one. Ive gotten it to base-line work. I'm planning on getting a couple variable resistors to change the brightness of the LED's depending on the environment and the other R to calibrate the meter to my phone. I'm going to post pictures, but it has tape over the LED's, theyre VERY bright.

Aperturelab

May 6, 2016
IMG_2667.JPG IMG_2666.JPG IMG_2668.JPG

Ill be cleaning the layout of the wires up once all the functionality of it is done. While i was digging into this stuff on my own, i needed that confidence boost from someone who knew a bit more in this field. Youve been a great help, and ill keep posting my steps as it moves along

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Welcome back, I am glad to see you were able to make it work! Good job :)
Some suggestions, although dead bug style is quick and easy, it's terribly hard to troubleshoot and rework. Do you have access to some perfboard? Chances are that is why you shorted out your first unit.
As for the LED's being too bright, you can vary the intensity with resistors between the IC and the LED. What value if any do you have there now?

Aperturelab

May 6, 2016
I Definitely wouldn't usually go with that style, but free space isnt even within 1/4 of an inch. As well as the walls that the guts are being mounted to are curved, So mounting these componants to a pcb isnt really much of a choice with space being an issue, unfortunately. I had made an amplifier for this same project, but was able to make it work neatly by spreading the parts along the wall inside a foam cutout. ill post pictures of that too. What i may end up doing is compacting the amp to one side of my walls, then mount the battery meter to the other side

Aperturelab

May 6, 2016
IMG_2669.JPG

The componants are covored by a layer of clear plastic, and then covered over with a cushioning insulator

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
I see. That is a tight fit. SMD components on a two layer board would have been more appropriate, but obviously tougher to work with. Keep at it :)

Aperturelab

May 6, 2016
Got the lights to dim a bit by hooking up a pot in between the battery and the hot for the LED's. Hooked another pot up, testing out the accuracy of the meter now,. Here's a pic i took while the battery is at roughly 60%

Attachments

• IMG_2670.JPG
    IMG_2670.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 73

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Cool! It has a futuristic steampunk style, what exactly is it all?

Aperturelab

May 6, 2016
Well, There's this game called Fallout 4 that came out, and in it, is a wrist mounted computer that acts as your inventory screen; its called a Pip-Boy. I thought it was the coolest thing, so i decided to make my own. The screen is my own phone. the screw tops that stick out the front and above the left side of the light bar go directly to buttons and the touch screen underneath, making everything completely accessible.

Heres the in game version. I wanted mine to look different, more military tech, so i made it more compact and with more obvious utilities.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bD9w7f4hJDY/hqdefault.jpg
IMG_2673.JPG IMG_2674.JPG IMG_2672.JPG

Aperturelab

May 6, 2016
Wow, what a trailer. That was good, even today! I will say Ive only just jumped on the fallout bandwagon, but i do love the game regardless. Ive dabbled in the original, but im to accustom to the most recent one

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Yes, such as it is with life - we are colored by our experiences. Older movies, games, etc. can't compare to our current viewings if that is our filter (what we see more of, becomes our bias to judge others against). The original was game changing, not only in technical aspects, like game engine,etc., but also in game play experience. Of course the graphics of the new games are unsurpassed. But, hey, the first game came out in 1997!!

Aperturelab

May 6, 2016
Hell, i remember playing the first Theif in 1998, i was amazed by it. First game i ever saw with mechanics like that

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
I didn't play that one, but remember playing more recently things like Skyrim (about 5-6 years ago). An older guy that I know (LOL he's in his late 70's and an avid gamer!!) got me hooked on Assassins Creed II when it first came out. Very interesting game play. I try to stay away from gaming as it kills too much of my time and its so easy to slip into to.... such is the case with Castle Clash that my brother got me stuck on :oops::mad: damn cell phone pollution :D

Aperturelab

May 6, 2016
Ahah, it is very addictive. I refuse to have data on my phone to not even tempt myself with that one. With the pip boy now, Ive mainly been using my phones radio. That side mounted antennae is 4 foot, i get great classic rock stations while i work on other projects

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Yes, that tutorial does break it down quite simply with no math. What problems where you still having? It looked like you had it all wrapped up.

Aperturelab

May 6, 2016
Well, i was finding that the meter wouldn't change with my battery usage. it would stay constant. Im thinking its because i dont have a minimum voltage set for it to know what to count down too, so im gunna gfet the proper pot to calibrate the minimum voltage

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Correct, as you saw from that tutorial, the resistors R1 and VR1 create a voltage divider and set your upper and lower ranges. Playing with these values will 'calibrate' the meter.

Have you ever worked with smd's? I was thinking about your requirements - did you know they make flexible pcbs?