Maker Pro
Maker Pro

newbie needs basic help please

drunkseamonkeys

Feb 8, 2015
I am building a automated greenhouse cover for myself i have a question regarding relays.i am using a dc motor that i geared down from a 100 rpms to.25rpm i want to use a irragation timer for the open and close times my question is will a irrigation timer actuate a packard c130a contactor?

Last edited by a moderator:

drunkseamonkeys

Feb 8, 2015
Oh and i have a power inverter already to power the dc motor. I just need to be able to make the motor turn different ways at different times .its a 24vdc motor. I already have the limit switches just need info on if the timer will turn on the contactor

drunkseamonkeys

Feb 8, 2015
My timer is 24vac 60hertz output,but ive been reading that i can convert the ac to dc with 4 diodes in a diamond shape?

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Need information on all the parts you plan to use.
I have a feeling you have a confused view of the requirements to achieve what you intend.

drunkseamonkeys

Feb 8, 2015
Need information on all the parts you plan to use.
I have a feeling you have a confused view of the requirements to achieve what you intend.
Ok i have a dc 24v 10a 100 rpm motor that i gearead down to .25 rpm i have a 120v ac to 24vdc 10a converter(same amps as power motor) so i was going to run 2 wires off the positive and negative on the converter to 2 different contactors wich will wire to the motor so it will spin 2 different ditections for the arm to open one way and close the other way. I will wire 2 limit switches to stop the cover 2hen its at its open and close point. So in sum i have a dc motor thats powering a

drunkseamonkeys

Feb 8, 2015
yeah I know... im not an artist note* there will be limit switches to stop the cover in open and close position, on the wires that run to motor

drunkseamonkeys

Feb 8, 2015
So i have a quick question will a irrigation timer (output 24vac 60 hertz) turn on a packard c130a contactor

Jouellet

Feb 2, 2015
At first glance, I don't see why not !

Spec that I could fin about the contactor mentioned that it is 24v, 50/60 hz

There is no clear mention that it is 24 Vdc or Vac but the fact that they mention 50/60 Hz makes me think that it is AC.

Only concern would be the Inrush current, but I would not worry too much about it.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
One problem I see is that if both contactors happen to be activated together, that will short the 24V supply. It would be better to use a two pole change over relay to change polarity and another contactor to energise the system.

I have not looked up the details of the c130a but if they have a back contact, the two contactors can be cross wired to stop both being on together.

drunkseamonkeys

Feb 8, 2015
Yeah thank you very much .i was thinking a 2 pole so it couldnt send power back to the power converter

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
DONT start a second thread on the same subject ....
I have merged that thread with this one

Dave

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I'll draw something up for you later (have to work now) but to start with, forget the contactor you linked to as it is (a) AC coil and you are using DC and (b) as mentioned above you need some interlock to avoid both contactors/relays from coming on at the same time causing a dead short( not feeding back power to the inverter)
If you have a 24v dc motor with a full load rating of 10A and you gear it down to such a low rpm, then I doubt very much that it will ever get anywhere near the full load current when running.
However, DC motors tend to create a large amount of sparking at the contactor contacts during startup and sometimes shutdown so best to stay with the higher current contactor of at least 10A.
Finally, your diagram is quite ok.........gets the message through and that's the important part.
I've seen many drawn with sophisticated programs that are not worth a crumpet.

drunkseamonkeys

Feb 8, 2015
I'll draw something up for you later (have to work now) but to start with, forget the contactor you linked to as it is (a) AC coil and you are using DC and (b) as mentioned above you need some interlock to avoid both contactors/relays from coming on at the same time causing a dead short( not feeding back power to the inverter)
If you have a 24v dc motor with a full load rating of 10A and you gear it down to such a low rpm, then I doubt very much that it will ever get anywhere near the full load current when running.
However, DC motors tend to create a large amount of sparking at the contactor contacts during startup and sometimes shutdown so best to stay with the higher current contactor of at least 10A.
Finally, your diagram is quite ok.........gets the message through and that's the important part.
I've seen many drawn with sophisticated programs that are not worth a crumpet.
Ok thank you my problem is im using an irragation timer wich outputs 24vac?