Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Newbie Q: Can I repair this Sunbeam heated throw?

Chaturanari

Jan 4, 2020
Hi,

This year, I made a resolution to try and repair and reuse things instead of throwing and buying. Call it my environmental guilt or seeds of frugality sown in my childhood is finally showing up.

My first project: I have this sunbeam electric heated throw that does not heat anymore. We live in an old house and it is nice to have a heated throw to sit under or nap under on a couch. It does not heat anymore. Is this something I can learn to fix?

Details: Sunbeam heated throw (Model- Style T85B) See attached pic.
Initilaly the High setting did not light up, but the blanket would get warm
Now, each time I had to remove the plug from the outlet and replug it in. The low and med setting light up but there is no heat.

Thanks in advance for your coaching

Attachments

• SunbeamRepair.pdf
    87.5 KB · Views: 19

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
This year, I made a resolution to try and repair and reuse things instead of throwing and buying. Call it my environmental guilt or seeds of frugality sown in my childhood is finally showing up.

My first project: I have this sunbeam electric heated throw that does not heat anymore. We live in an old house and it is nice to have a heated throw to sit under or nap under on a couch. It does not heat anymore. Is this something I can learn to fix

Funny, I made the opposite resolution.

You might be able to fix it depending on your patience, skills, and luck.

Take it apart, and take some close up pictures of the board. Just don't plug it in until after you acknowledge the dangers of working on electrical equipment and the hazards therein.
Sorry, My lawyer side is starting to show.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I think you've picked the wrong end of the choice of objects to recycle.
These things were never meant to be repaired, even way back when 3 heat switching was used some 50 years ago.
When you see and understand their construction, manufacture process, need for safety in the working unit then you may be one up.
At present mindset, I'm just curious if you ever thought of replacing the plates in old lead / acid batteries.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The local fire brigade will test electric blankets, they always say scrap them if they are a few years old. Electric coats and gloves are available which run on 12V, These should be fairly safe with the correct power supply.
A relation put an electric blanket to warm a bed and put a foam pillow on top. The smoke signaled that the bed was too warm.

Keep all electric devices away from beds and use a hot water bottle.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
The local fire brigade will test electric blankets

Just curious as to what sort of fireman has electrical qualifications ?
Imagine different countries, different requirements. Would be considered a joke down in Aus.

The hot water bottle I can remember way back in 1960 at my grandmothers, haven't seen one since though.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The firemen may not have electrical qualifications but they see fires started by electric blankets. They also supply smoke detectors. I do not have electrical qualifications but if I see a cable with damaged insulation I know it is not safe.

My sister has been given a hot water bottle for a christmas present, it is flexible and about two foot long. When I was young, in the days of yore, we used ceramic and rubber bottles. Things were tough then, I remember someone not letting the bath water out and my father taking it downstairs rhe following morning in a hessian sack.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Just curious as to what sort of fireman has electrical qualifications ?
Imagine different countries, different requirements.
Here In the USA, Firemen and even Fire Marshalls governing them don't have any real electrical qualifications or direct authority.

They do perform fire inspections on occasion that covers electrical things like overloaded outlets /too many cords plugged in, emergency lighting, smoke detector compliance... they also do things like education of the public of safety concerns like leaving toasters plugged in when unused. They may inspect an appliance but they are looking at things like frayed cords or listings by a testing agency like UL, CSA..
rather than the operation of the device.