Maker Pro
Maker Pro

newbie question about cap swap, hope you can help

jscoobs

Nov 23, 2011
Ok if i were to switch out a cap on ps and I didn't have the exact same one which would be the best way to go ... Same micro fared, different higher voltage ( I say higher just because lower would prob just pop right away) or different micro fared (higher/lower ?) Same voltage

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Similar capacitance (a little higher is generally safe and better than a little lower.

Same or higher voltage rating.

Just be sure that the replacement will physically fit.

Also, if the original is marked as 105C, get a replacement with the same temperature rating.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Same capacitance, higher voltage. Make sure you pay attention to the polarity if it is a polarized capacitor.

Bob

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
You can usually go a little higher in capacitance (50-100%) w/o problems, and there's no limit to how high you can go on the voltage spec', but it's size that matters.
A lo-cap hi-volt cap will have the same ripple current tolerance as a hi-cap lo-volt cap of the same type & size. So if you can fit a bigger cap' then all the better.
But there are huge differences in ESR and ripple current capabilities between brands and models. You have to make sure to get a similar or better spec'ed cap'.