Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Newbie question. Help needed for my DIY camera intervalometer.

ulrik_of_cph

Sep 16, 2012
Ok here's the thing. I am trying to make an intervalometer work with my Sony Nex camera (there are none made for this model). An intervalometer is a device to take a series of images at given intervals, used for time lapse photography. Normally they plug into a port on the camera, but that doesn't work with the Nex.

I have the following:

1. Camera
2. IR wireless camera trigger
3. Intervalometer

The idea is to wire the intervalometer to the IR trigger to get a remote Nex intervalometer. There are a few instructions online, but my IR trigger looks completely different from theirs.

So basically the question is, can anybody see from the circuit board where I should solder on the wires from the intervalometer? There are 3 wires btw and from what I could read they serve these functions: red=ground, yellow=half pressed shutter, white=press shutter).

Any kind of help about which wires should go where and how, would be greatly appreciated! I am a complete numptie with these sort of things!

7988656978_891bf0e2f3_c.jpg

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
you would need to find an output from the intervalometer that looks something like a button being pressed, then wire it to the button (if there is one) on the IR remote for the camera

You may want to just get a 555 timer and set it up for a LONG period and connect that to the remote, it would probably be easier than tearing apart the intervalometer and the remote

ulrik_of_cph

Sep 16, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

I think I got it sorted by trial and error. I didn't split the intervalometer, just cut the wire coming from it (red, white and yellow inside). I soldered on the red wire to the pad/hole just to right of the upper left screw hole. The white wire I soldered onto pin 3 from the top on the right hand side of the chip.

It seems to work just fine, and I think the occasional missed shots are just the Nex IR being fuzzy. Time for some time lapse photography, Yay!

Rgds