Maker Pro
Maker Pro

NEWBIE - Seeking a switch for 7 color LED outdoor spotlight

cajoeg

Nov 27, 2022
Hello, I'm new to this forum and learning about microelectronics (hope this is the right term). I had a 7 color (Red,Green,Blue,Purple,Warm white,Cool white,Cyan) outdoor solar LED floodlight fail recently. I was able to determine that the battery would no longer take or hold a charge (not sure if it was the solar part or the battery itself - guessing battery). A new battery for the unit is about the same cost for a new complete unit, so I took apart the unit and keep the LED spotlight. Just for fun, I was experimenting to see if I could get the light to work by using a 9V battery. Through trial and error, I was able to determine which the 4 wire leads was the positive, and could light one color or multiple by various wiring combinations. Now I'm interested in finding a mini switch that would allow me to do the same experiment results via a switch. In other words, I'd like to have it display one of the seven colors by selecting a color via a mini switch. Again, I'm only using the LED light and a 9V battery. So the switch would naturally go in-between the two, and allow me to choose from 7 colors, and of course OFF. Any suggestions? Just having fun during my retirement. Thank you!

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Look up rotary switches, they come in various styles with different numbers of positions.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
You need to make a BINARY selection of RGB to get the full spectrum (8 colours) from the display. There aren't many such 'large' binary switching devices available (I can't find ANY in a quick search) as they are mainly 'screwdriver slot' versions that might struggle to handle the current you require and would be a PITA to set to the value you want.

You can achieve the same functionality using a STANDARD single-pole 8-way rotary switch if you implement a 'diode OR gate arrangement'.

12 diodes, one single-pole 8-way (usually 10-way with a rotation limiter) rotary switch and the appropriate series resistors for the R, G and B LEDs. The diodes are only a few pennies each and the switch about a few £.

It would be a simple and interesting project for a beginner!

cajoeg

Nov 27, 2022
I decided to daisy chain three low voltage toggle switches to perform the desired function. I had some switches already, so all I did was run a daisy chained common to all three switches, then connect the remaining wires to their own switch terminal. This way I can display any single color by having only one switch on, or mix the colors by having more than one switch on thus producing a new color. Thank you for all of the suggestions. I'm using simple projects like this to teach my grandson and granddaughter simple low voltage electronics.

Keonte45

Aug 29, 2022
It sounds like you are interested in finding a mini switch that would allow you to control the color of an LED floodlight using a 9V battery. A simple way to accomplish this would be to use a 7-position rotary switch. Each position on the switch would correspond to one of the seven colors of the LED floodlight. Turning the switch to a specific position would complete the circuit for that color and light the LED in that color.

You can also use a DIP switch, a type of switch commonly used to set configuration options in electronic devices. Each switch corresponds to one of the seven colors, and you can use simple logic to check the switch position to turn on the respective color.

Another option could be to use a microcontroller, such as an Arduino board, which will give you more flexibility and control. You can program it to switch colors via a simple button or remote control. You can also add some features, such as fading and pulse effects.

It's worth noting that the microcontroller option is a bit more complex than the other options and requires some basic knowledge of programming and electronics.

In any case, it's essential to make sure that the switch you choose is rated for the current and voltage of the LED floodlight and that it is compatible with the wiring and connections of your circuit. You should also be careful when working with electricity, as it can be dangerous if not handled properly.

I hope this helps, and have fun experimenting!

Keonte45

Aug 29, 2022
I decided to daisy chain three low voltage toggle switches to perform the desired function. I had some switches already, so all I did was run a daisy chained common to all three switches, then connect the remaining wires to their own switch terminal. This way I can display any single color by having only one switch on, or mix the colors by having more than one switch on thus producing a new color. Thank you for all of the suggestions. I'm using simple projects like this to teach my grandson and granddaughter simple low voltage electronics.
Oh wow! That's nice. Your grand kids are lucky.