Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Noob - wiring multiple LEDS, different #'s lit with single power source...

divergentmatt

Jun 2, 2010
Hey everyone. I'm working on a project (which I'm sure is beyond my skill level) that requires an LED to light as someone basically closes a switch. (Closing the switch involves inserting a peg with another LED in it, intended to light, too) Creating this simple circuit is no big deal, as I understand the idea of matching an appropriate resistor based on my power source and LED specs. The dilemma is that I need to run 5 of these circuits, and I would like to use a single power source. I don't know how to account for the current/voltage change as different numbers of LEDs are lit. Is there a simple answer for this? Using separate power sources isn't going to be practical, when I scale this up and have multiple set's of 5.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Matt

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
No, (I guess no-one was here during those four hours,) but you'll need to explain your intentions a little clearer, I don't quite get the details of how you want this to operate.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The basic answer (I think) is that once you have made one of these (I don't get the plug in LED thing) you simply connect 5 of them in parallel. That way they will all get the same voltage and at whatever current it requires