Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Nuclear Plant help

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Ok I did some reading and I see there is 2. types of Reactors B.W.R and this is the Boiling Water Reactor and then P.W.R and this is the Pressure Water Reactor.

Now the B.W.R works like this.

The Reactor Core has Water in it and the Uranium Rods are in the middel of the Watter. Now the Boron Rods are inbetween the Uranium Rods.

Now they Lift the Boron Rods out and the Uranium Rods give off Neutrons and the Water keep them from Decaying. So the can enter ather Uranium Rods and have a reaction.

Then the Water Heats up and the Steam gets pumpt out and into the Turbine. Now after the Steam turns the Turbine it drops down to the Condenser that turns it back to Water and it gets pumped back to the Reactor Core..

Do I have this right for the B.W.R??

yup :)

the uranium is always giving off the neutrons and other particles ( alpha, beta and gamma), its just that when the boron rods are fully inserted they absorb most of those emissions from the uranium. As the rods are pulled out a bit then there are less particles absorbed and that allows the reactions to start to take place

D

Last edited:

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
Thanks but

Thanks for all your help now I know how a BWR works.

Am I right on how a PWR works now?

The Contral Rods are still in water and the Boron Rods are still lifted out from inbetween to start the reaction.

Now the watter still Heats up but instead of the Steam getting pumpt to the Turbine this is what goes on.

When the watter Heats up it gets pumpt right into a Tube or Pipe and this Pipe that has the Hot water in it goes right into the Steam Ganerator.

The Steam Ganarator works like this.

The Steam Ganarator is a Tank of watter and the Pipe that has the Hot water goes into and loops back out of this Tank.

And becaus the Pipe has the hot watter in it it Heats up the water in the Steam Ganarator Tank.

Now when the Watter in the Steam ganarator Tank Heats up the Steam from that is pumpt to the Turbine.

After the Steam turns the Turbine it gets pumpt to a Condancer that turns it back to watter and this watter gets pumpt back to the Steam Ganarator Tank so it can be Heated again.

Is this right on how a PWR works?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Maybe most people here would just be using google to answer your questions.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
I provided a link to the relevant Wikipedia page, even quoted the most pertinent portion but have yet to achieve critical mass.

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
Sorry but

I do use google but a lot of things you will not find like when I find how Power Plaints work I see Diagrams of Plaints.

And in the Core were the Contral Rods are the watter gets pumpt out and they show you things they call Dryers.

I try to find what Dryers are but they never tell you.

So I am not trying to be annoying I just can not find a lot of things on google.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
So I am not trying to be annoying I just can not find a lot of things on google.

There are likely some very print books out there on the subject matter, maybe some college text books? Perfect time of the year to be picking them up in the US as it's the end of the semester...

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
thanks but

Ok I am seeing a lot of things on the net about BWR and PWR but I just have one more thing baybe you can clear up for me?

I whent on Wikapedia and looked at BWR and PWR and just one thing I do not get.

A BWR Heats the water in the Core and pumps the steam to the Turbine.

And the PWR still Heats the water in the Core but there is a tube that has watter going into and back out of the Core. And the Hot water in the Core Heats the water in the Tube because the tube is going though the Core.

And this tube goes into the Presurizer to make steam.

But then the Wikipedia says The PWR does not Boil the water in the Core like the BWR.

But it does because the water is geting Hot so the tube going into the Core and back out will Heat up??

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The BWR boils water in the core to form steam which is passed to the turbines.

The PWR is pressurised to such a level that steam is not produced. Instead, the very hot water is passed to a heat exchanger which produces the steam from a separate supply of water.