Maker Pro
Maker Pro

nuisance interference

william jackson

Jul 24, 2017
I recently installed a small camera in my flat corridor that is activated by a motion sensor and the camera is linked to a vcr,as we have had prowlers wandering the corridors,everything works fine but I,ve noticed that when certain electrical appliances are switched on in the flat it triggers the motion sensor which then brings on the vcr,would fitting a suppressor or some other device solve the problem

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I recently installed a small camera in my flat corridor that is activated by a motion sensor and the camera is linked to a vcr,as we have had prowlers wandering the corridors,everything works fine but I,ve noticed that when certain electrical appliances are switched on in the flat it triggers the motion sensor which then brings on the vcr,would fitting a suppressor or some other device solve the problem
Can you please provide a parts-list of the items you are using here?

Is the motion detector an alarm system style detector or a sensor for outdoor lights?
Does it toggle power, or a trigger of some sort?
Is the camera wireless, or hard-wired to the VCR?

Are there any particular appliances that cause this to happen more often than others?

william jackson

Jul 24, 2017
Can you please provide a parts-list of the items you are using here?

Is the motion detector an alarm system style detector or a sensor for outdoor lights?
Does it toggle power, or a trigger of some sort?
Is the camera wireless, or hard-wired to the VCR?

Are there any particular appliances that cause this to happen more often than others?
the motion sensor is intended for indoor intruders and has a 240 volt small mains box with a 4 core low voltage flex to the sensor,the vcr is a sharp vhs machine and the camera is 9v fed via a plug in transformer and the camera recording lead plugs into the jack plug outlet on the vcr as does the sound lead,it seems any appliance with a decent load on it,such as a kettle,shower,water heater will definitely cause a problem,but only certain light switches,i have no dimmer switches,or fluorescent lights,it also seems heavy lorries or buses outside also cause a problem,when my electricity changes from day tariff to night or vicer versa on the meter also triggers it,instead of switching one of the problem light switches off,I unscrewed the lamp and it was ok,it seems any arc on a switch creates problems,please let me know if you need more details

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Are the power cables to the devices particularly lengthy? Do they run in proximity or parallel to existing mains wiring?

If the system is being false-triggered it can only be by 'fake' signals into the motion sensing device so check the wiring to/from it and the quality of the PSU/wiring driving it.

Sometimes something as simple as an in-line filter (choke) on the supply line(s) to the motion sensor will stop such interfering signals.

william jackson

Jul 24, 2017
Are the power cables to the devices particularly lengthy? Do they run in proximity or parallel to existing mains wiring?

If the system is being false-triggered it can only be by 'fake' signals into the motion sensing device so check the wiring to/from it and the quality of the PSU/wiring driving it.

Sometimes something as simple as an in-line filter (choke) on the supply line(s) to the motion sensor will stop such interfering signals.
the sensor cable does travel along close to a mains cable so you are probably right about picking up fake signals,if I changed the sensor cable for a screened cable do you think it would help

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
It may probably take more than one method to cure the fault. But screening that cable is a good place to start.