Maker Pro
Maker Pro

OEG Relay Problem

kc32

Jan 12, 2013
Hey, I pulled apart an OEG OZF-S-112LM Relay and I can't seem to get it to work, or find any pictures of how it should look internally. Here is what the parts look like:
photo_zpsc8905c68.jpg

photo7_zps823331ba.jpg

photo8_zps4ea24d54.jpg

When I push the copper contacts together and re-install it works.... but it won't turn off. Any thoughts? Am I missing a piece?

Thanks
______

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The solution is to purchase a new relay.

That larger, free piece of metal is attracted to the electromagnet formed by the coil in the relay (that's the part you didn't remove).

The piece of metal pivots against a fulcrum, pushing the contacts closed.

If the relay wasn't broken before you pulled it apart, then the circuit driving the coil would be my next place to look (actually it would have likely been my first place to look unless the relay was sticking in the ON position)

kc32

Jan 12, 2013
Yeah it was working fine before it fell apart. I didn't mean to take it apart, when pulling the plug out of the back I pilled the top off the relay by mistake.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way for the metal piece to contact the copper connect because there is a plastic dam in the middle. I must have lost a piece?

thanks

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Like Steve said, you should just replace the relay instead of trying to fix it.

Digikey and Mouser have information on that relay, but don't have any in stock. It's probably obsolete. But you can download the data sheet for it, and search those sites (Digikey and Mouser, perhaps Newark) for relays with similar specifications, and for every one you find, download the data sheet and see if they're a match in terms of electrical and mechanical characteristics (i.e. same coil voltage, same coil current, same contact arrangement, same pin locations and allocation, and same footprint size).

According to Digikey, that relay is now part of the TE Connectivity brand, not Omron. Perhaps Omron were bought by TE Connectivity. You can go to the TE Connectivity site and search for that part number. They may have a recommended replacement part. In any case, they're likely to have the closest match.