Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Old Gemini P800 System

KAC

Nov 17, 2021
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and a novice at programming this system (I do have some experience in programming a Honeywell Vista 20-P). This system was installed around the mid-90's. Nothing fancy - just the burglar sensors were installed - no fire or telephone lines for monitoring. I'm trying to help a friend resurrect the system. We've tried the default dealer code and user code with no luck. I have the manuals and have read through them but can't find the specific answers to a couple of questions:
(1) If I default the panel, do I lose all the programming (I think I do but want to make sure). Any way to see or backup the settings before I default the panel?
(2) For my Vista 20-P system, I have to program every sensor - is it the same for the P800? On the panel itself, there are 6 zones identified. Is each zone a single sensor?
I'm sorry if I've left out a lot of info, I'm just getting started. Thanks for any info you can share.

Attachments

• Security System Pic.jpeg
    Security System Pic.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 4

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Napco panels are very unforgiving about forgetting the Dealer Code. Note in the manual that the Dealer Code may be programmed NOT to return to default with a panel hardware default---in other words, if it's locked out for anyone except the original dealer, you may default the panel but be locked out of being able to program it.

I HIGHLY recommend you NOT default the panel unless absolute necessary, which it rarely is.
(1) Yes, if you default the panel, and assuming you're able to program it afterwards, you will have to program ALL the settings--not just the zones/sensors.

(2) Yes, ZONES have to be programmed. Sensors are the sensing devices on doors, windows, areas with motion detection/glass break detection, etc. The sensors are linked to zones by either hardwire or wireless transmitters. It's common to call a wireless sensor/transmitter just a "sensor" but it leaves me not knowing whether you're talking about hardwired or wireless sensors, and it makes a difference when you're asking questions.
The 6 on-board zones you see on the panel are for hardwire. They can be wired to multiple sensors in series. Wireless zones are one sensor/transmitter to a zone.
It may be that you don't even need to get into programming, if the system was working at one time, except to recover the User Code. Good on you for learning to programming the Honeywell Vista-20P---and if you haven't already figured it out, you're going to find out that programming a Napco panel--any model--involves a much steeper learning curve. (It's one major reason my favorite brand has been Ademco/Honeywell for decades now.)

If everything is working and you only need the User Code, it might actually be easier to "brute-force" hack the User Code by methodically trying 4-digit combinations until you hit it. It will take awhile, but so does defaulting and programming from scratch: (1) determining what ALL the settings in programming need to be, including ALL the settings for each zone, before you default the panel (you will need to make a zone list in any case), and (2) reprogramming from scratch after Defaulting---but you won't know until after you default whether you can re-program the panel. If you can't, you're stuck with the factory-default settings of the 6 on-board zones. If you have extra expansion zones, you will have lost them.

In this case, I usually suggest a hobby: Try 100 to 500 new 4-digit codes each day, depending on how eager you are to get it working. User Codes are nearly always 4 digits, but Dealer Codes are typically 6 digits, not friendly to brute-force hacking.
Sorry I don't have better news, but that's the best I can do. You might find someone who knows something I don't at this site:
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/electronic-home-security-systems-alarms-devices-87/
I haven't worked on a Napco panel if over 12 years, and it's possible someone has new information I haven't come across.

KAC

Nov 17, 2021
Wow - thank you so much for spending the time to answer my question in detail. I've often asked questions in other forums and get back a very brief terse answer. Yours is great - thank you. I'll follow your direction and advice.