Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Old module does not work

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
pictures: The 1st 2 are just at different angles, showing the burnt spot on the ground lug. the last picture is the back side of that area, burnt spot around that same ground lug. Hope that helps. What does a ground lug do, and why does it smell burnt?
"It will take a second to think about... hm... you feel like this all the time huh!" ... So a grounding lug us designed to carry the ground from the entire board. usually there will be other grounds, but this ground depending on its size, will carry the majority of the line current. Therea re lots of reasons why a ground lug might burn, up to and including a bug on a major current line, or a short in a wire in a nearby system, or a nearby natural lightning bolt. But in any case, this lug is designed to carry a specific amount of the board current. The term "If nothing else looks bad..." is usually forgiven when dealing with bad grounds, because of the POLR, but you are going to have to clean it up good, look at the board, see if you can figure out how much this lug is supposed to carry and then do your best to reattach it without adding or subtracting any of the conduction. (simple way a of saying just clean it up and resolder it man...) But some of these lugs aren't ground lugs at all, and when this is so, they certainly don't take kindly to grounding. So make completely sure the device isn't using that pin for some heatsinking or anything. good luck, hope your car starts 'afterwrads' and that the headlights open and close good when you throw the relay.

noquacks

Jun 26, 2013
OK, I resoldered best I could, all 9 contacts, and the lug. Then went according to shop manual troubleshooting for that controller. Now please note that the RIGHT headlight doors work with the controller connected, but the left do not. So the manual said to JUMPER the contacts from the working right side doors to those 2 contacts to the left doors to see if that works, That did not.

That means (according to the manual and intuition) that there is a wiring problem somewhere, going to the right side door motors. I checked continuity from the connector that goes to clipped to the module/controller, and it is good. Then I applied voltage 12 DC directly to the headlight door motor and it turned clockwise, then C-Clockwise. So I am mystified at this point. I am not so sure my module is bad. I know you guys can help me just so much online.

noquacks

Jun 26, 2013
Just thought- when I jumped the 2 contacts to jump the right doors to the left doors, IF that bad looking ground lug is now "connected" from the jumper wires, could this cause both doors to not open when jumped (right door opens normally but when jumped, does not open at all)? Could the supposed bad lug "infect" the circuitry causing both doors not opening? If so, then the lug is the problem.

Remember- the right doors work when module is connected, but not when jumped to the left doors.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Well, that's all about as clear as mud...... o_O

As I said earlier, the tab is connected to the track purely as a heatsink, there is no other connection to the track.
Possible the device which has been subjected to the extreme heat due to the lack of physical connection to the track, is damaged.

Whole board looks pretty dodgy, many of the incomer/outgoing connections dodgy as well.
Low voltage such as in autos don't take kindly to poor connections.
It can in some instances, create feed back which will really mess with things.

Last edited:

noquacks

Jun 26, 2013
Sorry for delay, but yes, I agree, confusing, because I am confused. Bottom line on this project- I tried everything and nothing worked. I have a right side door that works, at least. Left headlights do light up as well. Car still runs. You guys are the greatest, your support and guidance much appreciated.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I tried everything and nothing worked. I have a right side door that works, at least. Left headlights do light up as well.
Obviously not everything as it is still faulty.

Given you have one component, either a left or right side ( not certain as now you are talking doors) it should not be too difficult to trace back the fault given there would be 2 identical power section circuits, one of which works.

Control circuit for both should be common and obviously with one componenet working, it should be fine.

Given the units operate in a dirty environment and are subject to movement and vibration, I would be checking wiring, especially earth return cabling for breaks or dirty contacts.

As said earlier the multi plug contacts on the board you show look dodgy to say the least.

Did you ever check the condition of the discrete device which was subjected to overheating...??

Last edited: