Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Oldie but a goodie: Tektronix 7L12 SA repair

RedShoeRider

Nov 13, 2013
Good Evening, All:

Though I realize this is a shot in the dark, perhaps someone else has run into this one!

I recently acquired a Tek 7L12 spectrum analyzer plugin for cheap in an unknown condition. Besides looking like it was run though a dirt machine, it's in ok condition. Gave it a good cleaning; it looks not-halfway-bad now! Inserting it into the 7903 mainframe I have, it rapidly (1sec on - 1sec off - 1 sec on) cycles. After a few seconds, I shut it off, not wanting to hurt the mainframe or the module.

Starting to dig though it, I found that if I removed the connector P872, located on the rear of the unit, it worked! Well, mostly. It powers up, communicates properly with the mainframe, changes modes, etc. It does not display a spectrum though, as the board that connector feeds is the IF board.

Being that there is a ton of work to go though to troubleshoot out that whole board, has anyone run into this particular problem before, and do you recall how it was fixed? I know it's an old module, well past it's "normal" lifespan, but if this saves me 10's of hours of troubleshooting....terrific!

Thanks a lot, all!
-Red

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
There are a lot of very good Tektronix-centered web-sites you can Google.
Guys with specifric Tek experience (and schematics) hang-out on them.
We're good here, but for such a specific question about Tek gear, you'll probably
get the best help there.

RedShoeRider

Nov 13, 2013
Hey Shortround:

Sounds like a good plan to me! Interestingly, electronicspoint comes up as the top Google hit when I dump in the term "7L12 repair". I figured I'd start here first.

Cheers,
-CH