Maker Pro
Maker Pro

On off for headphone line

jerryb

Feb 18, 2014
Hi, put an extension lead in for my headphones that I use to listen to the TV late in the evening but I don't want to unplug them so I want to install an on /off switch. There are three wires which I think are two audio wires and a ground, what sort of switch do I need and how do I wire it up, thanks.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I imagine just about any switch would do, but here's another idea;

change the audio receptacle on tv to the five pin type used for headsets with microphone.
That way you can use the extra two contact points to carry the switching wires all the way to the end of your (custon made) cord that has a switch built in the jack end.

That way audio goes to your tv speakers normally and then when you plug in your headphones while your in bed, it will disconnect the tv speakers and your wife won't yell at you.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'll speculate, and ask questions.
IS your TV a stereo audio output model? If so, your three wires are what you suspect: one left, and one right channel, and the third wire is the 'common' or return wire for the two channels.
I'm THINKING you mean that you want to listen to the headphones late at night, but want the TV's own speakers
to operate at all other times, and that what you want is to be able to listen to the TV normally, and then just flip
a switch and don the headphones at night?
If that's what you mean, it gets a little complicated, because when you insert the headphone plug into the TV headphone jack, the internal construction of the TV headphone jack is designed to disconnect the TV internal speakers, and route the signal to the headphones.
Is what I suspect you're trying to do, actually correct?
If so the problem for you will be getting around the physical construction of the TV headphone jack as it is presently wired.

jerryb

Feb 18, 2014
Obviously I am confusing people, the TV has a separate volume control for the headphone socket so that you can listen at a different volume to other people in the room, but if I take them off you can still hear it. What I want to do is switch off the headphones without unplugging them or going through the menus on the TV to turn them down. Basically how do I wire an on / off switch into the headphone lead that has the wires that I have said in the first post, thanks.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Since the headphones output is completely separate from the TV speakers then when you do not use the headphones then why bother to switch them off? It will take many years to wear them out if they are not disconnected with a switch.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Obviously you do not understand what your switch does. The earphones will then be connected in series and out-of-phase with each other. Low frequencies usually play in mono so they will be cancelled.
Ok, I thought cutting the common wire with a switch would cut audio to the headphones.
I do see your point of how the headphone common would become a series circuit.
Perhaps that could be harmful to the amp.

Sorry jerryb. You'd better wait for a guru to draw in a 2 pole switch.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I am not going to draw a simple switch, I am too busy today.