Maker Pro
Maker Pro

One battery, four circuits

Matthew Klick

May 5, 2018
I'm trying to build a model rocket launch controller. This will have to be powered by a single source but be able to handle four launches, independently, at once.

I can build a single launch controller. My problem is that I've never tried running multiple circuits on one power source before. Can I just use a diode to keep the current from feeding back into another circuit or... I'm just not sure.

Any thoughts would be most helpful.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Just run separate power connections from each controller back to the power supply.

Make sure the power supply can handle it if all 4 are operated simultaneously.

Or are you talking about 4 controllers in one box? In that case run the power to the box and split off the 4 power connections in the box.

Or... Are you talking about one controller firing 4 separate rockets simultaneously? This may be a little more difficult because the controller may be only rated to fire one. Placing several loss in parallel may overload it and/or be unreliable.

Which one is it?

Last edited:

Matthew Klick

May 5, 2018
If every rocket is fired at once, it'll pull about 28 amps for a split second. Once a rocket ignites the circuit is broken. The battery I'm using will easily be able to handle that.

The way I need to set it up is, a single battery will run to a switch to turn the whole system on and off. After that switch I want to split the power between the four launch controllers.

Each controller will have a SPDT key switch. In the first position: key switch > resistor > LED > rocket > common negative. This is to check for continuity before launch.

In the second position: key switch > momentary switch > rocket > common negative. This is to dump whatever it can into the rocket to launch it.

I know running these circuits in series won't work for obvious reasons. I'm a little confused about whether or not it'll work in parallel or if there's anything special I have to do to make it work.

This whole thing has to be one unit otherwise there's no point. There can only be one power supply because it's a single 70 year old woman that has to carry this out into a field. And it has to be able to launch all rockets at once or one at a time, because it'll be kids hitting the launch button.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
In that case, it sounds like you have a battery and a switch in one box, with 4 cables, each one running from one end of the battery and the switch to each of the controllers.

Make sure the power switch can handle 28A.

Matthew Klick

May 5, 2018
That's correct. I'm guessing that setting it up in such a way will allow each circuit to operate as they would independently, and I just have to be sure that the battery can handle the load of all four circuits combined.

Am I correct?
Given that this is for launching rockets, I wanted to check with someone more knowledgeable than myself before I tried it.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah, connecting them in parallel is how you achieve your aims.

You probably should have a 15A fuse on each of the separate circuits for the controllers in case one of them shorts out.

Matthew Klick

May 5, 2018
Ah, I thank you sir! I've actually played with electronics quite a bit in my day. Something about rockets controlled by 12 year old kids makes me want to get second opinions. lol