Maker Pro
Maker Pro

One Way Or Another.

Anthony Guy

Dec 26, 2015
I have a string of L.E.D Christmas lights, with some wired in opposite polarity of the others. I tried searching for a schematic of a flip-flop circuit that will alternate the direction of the current flow. All I get are circuits that prevent that from happening. How complex is it to build a circuit that will allow me to use these? Or, where can I look to find such a plan? I don't have Arduino or Raspberry Pi or any of those project building kits. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Did you get a controller with them?
Some are thyristor controlled and others are micro controller.
The thyristor controlled lights can easily be circumvented with a bridge rectifier. The micro controller is more complex but can be done with an H bridge.

Martin

Anthony Guy

Dec 26, 2015
It was a Cheapo from Amazon, a few years ago, a neighbor's tree branch fell and crushed the controller, so I just tossed it, since it no longer worked. I guess I should've hung onto it, just to view the circuitry.

Anthony Guy

Dec 26, 2015
Two, I was using a 9V battery to check the polarity, so I was pretty surprised when I found it worked both ways.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
So it seems a micro then.
Look up H bridge circuit or buy a cheap controller.

Martin

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
So, if you just run it on AC thatll solve the problem won't it?
If the problem is you have to run it off DC, you can use a marx generator to generate the oscillation, then make it polarized oscillation not non-polarized.

To make that, just need resistors, capacitors and spark gaps. (But u can make the spark gaps yourself.)

But after u get to the high voltage, you might need to step it down somehow, but maybe leds dont mind high voltage, im not sure myself.