Maker Pro
Op Amp Stability

Op Amp Stability

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
Hey Lvw
I thought I would use the most common configuration of buffer seen in most text books and that is single supply operation and I figured most people would use this to buffer voltage higher than the common mode limit? Is this what you mean. Would you like me to mention about the limitations of this configuration. Or add a split supply version.
Cheers
Adam

I have seen a lot of textbooks on opamps - but I didn`t get the feeling that a single supply buffer configuration can be "seen in most text books".
In many cases, no supply rails are shown at all (because split supply is assumed without mentioning).
In many cases, for single supply operation a separate chapter is reserved (showing some methods for artificial biasing).
No - I don´t worry about common mode properties, but the limitation is clear: No negative voltages and - in particular - no pure ac signals are allowed., unless an artificial operating point somewhere in the middle between 0 and Vcc is created. In this case, ac signals can be used as well.

Last edited:

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Yes valid point Lvw. I am just used to working with d.c where this configuration is how it is mostly done, for as you say non a.c signals. I'll make a mention to this in the thread or change to split supply and then add some additional stuff on single supply operation to include this buffer circuit.
Thanks
Adam