Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Optical encoder from ink printer, help understanding

h1tm4nakah

Jan 1, 2016
Hi guys, i've got an optical encoder from an old ink printer. The model is Agilent h9731 ( datasheet http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet2/9/0pql04k9oru8uez14wx9h3d3657y.pdf )
I wired up the Vcc to 5v, GND to GND and ChanA and ChanB to the oscilloscope and everything works fine but the encoder gets warm which i suppose is not good. So ichecked the datasheet and i found out :

Load Capacitance CL 100 pF, 3.2 kΩ pull-up

The pullup resistor is between 5V and Vcc , and the capacitor in in parallel with Vcc and GND ?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I wouldn't be too concerned at the load capacitance but as the spec sheet says........... supply is 5V dc ........load is pull-up 3.2K ohm.......... i.e. channels A and B (output)....Each one via 3.2K to 5V rail.
Normally means output is open collector.

h1tm4nakah

Jan 1, 2016
Thank for the reply, but isnt too strong 3.2k pull up to connect it to a microcontroller? ( like an Arduino).
And having a pull up resistor on the collector shouldnt affect the encoder being warm or not?

I wouldn't be too concerned at the load capacitance but as the spec sheet says........... supply is 5V dc ........load is pull-up 3.2K ohm.......... i.e. channels A and B (output)....Each one via 3.2K to 5V rail.
Normally means output is open collector.
Pin

Last edited by a moderator:

h1tm4nakah

Jan 1, 2016
The controller doesn't care about the pullup. You should connect the pullup to the micros supply
So i can also use the internal pull up resistor of the Arduino ( 10k ), compared to the suggested 3.2k will only affect the performance but not the current that flow inside the Arduino. Correct me if im wrong, im a newbie :D