Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Optical Lense (and mount ?)



Jan 1, 1970

I am looking for some kind of lense to mount infront of a small
photodiode sensor (TAOS surface mount chip) on a PCB.
I want this lense to allow the sensor to view colors better at a
distance of 10cm (As apposed to close up, under 2cm), so something
like a fixed 'zoom' lense i guess.

So my question is, where would i get such a lense ?, what would it be
called ? (i have seen the word 'collminating' all over google when
searching for lenses, is that what i want?), and how would i mount it.
Are there standard lense mount mechanisms available ? something that
would sit straight onto a PCB ? what are they called, where can i get
them :).

I can blindly stab around at what i want, but if anyone has experience
with this kind of stuff, please point me in the right direction :).

much appreciated,


Bob May

Jan 1, 1970
Often lenses are mounted on a piece of plastic that mounts to the PCB with
either screws or clips. There are usually 2 locating pins on the plastic
piece to insure that the lens is in the right position.
You want a doublet lens for the lens if you are dealing with colors but a
single lens will do if you don't need to have an accurate focus on the
photodiode over the color spectrum.
Your application is for a finite conjugate setup and the general formula for
the two focal points and the needed focal length is :
1/Ffl = 1/Ffp1 + 1/Ffp2
Ffl is the focal length of the lens
Ffp1 is the focal plane of the photodiode (the distance from the diode to
the lens).
Ffp2 is the focal plane of the object to be viewed (the distance from the
lens to the item to be viewed by the diode).


Jan 1, 1970
Hi Quack!

For mounting you could use a cage system.
Screw 2 or better 4 cage rods to the pcboard and put the two lenses in cage
plates. You can then easily adjust the postition of both lenses. It might be
a little bulky but also very stable and easy to adjust.

You can find cage systems at Thor Labs