Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Opto....anything to charge small battery?

fastline

Aug 9, 2010
We are working on a simple project that will use a microcontroller and a couple sensors. the actual power requirement is very low and could probably run for a year on the battery but we would like to explore PV charging. This device will be subjected to daily sunshine and actual charge rate really is not a factor. If it took days to charge, no biggy! The real requirement is keep it very simple and keep the cost down.

The battery will likely be Lion and I know we need to get voltages right. I am not sure if we really need a proper "charge controller" for such low charge rates but would need to disconnect at the top charge threshold. Could probably just do a small mosfet fired from the uC for that.

Anywho, are there any simple optos that could be made to do this?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Once again, there are off-the-shelf option open to you but more information would be required such as battery size (electrical) current draw of the load , type and size of the pv array.

fastline

Aug 9, 2010
We might select an 18650 battery and current will be variable as the PIC will hibernate much of the time. I could estimate about 20mA. Could you give an example of what you are thinking of?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
As I said, it depends on what supply you have (pv) and if you have just one or more 18650.
This board below should cover most of what you need for a couple of dollars.

Don't be put off by the 2A, that is just maximum rate.

They should be available just about anywhere, so shop around , probably many places cheaper also.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/322655498326?hash=item4b1fc43056:g:6x0AAOSwfDhZgxLf

Attachments

• 18650Chgr.jpg
    18650Chgr.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 3