Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Opto or IR sensor, what type?

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Hi all.
I have dug out a small project built several decades ago.
This is basically an opto or IR detector circuit, which originally illuminated a 3mm red LED when input was sensed.
I added a jack socket across the LED for connecting to a scope / amp / sound-card input etc for monitoring.
Very simple & basic circuit.
I'm trying to identify two components - the sensor itself, and an unknown transistor.
The sensor is part number S604-9F.
It's a cylindrical metal (silvered) body, with a clear collimator lens in front.
I'm don't know if this is a photo-transistor, photo-diode, IR or visible light, although it responds strongly to IR from a remote, slightly less from ambient (TV screen or window) lighting, and low level from green or blue (PC 'paint' on LCD monitor.
I've tried searching the 'net, using various segments of the part number, adding / removing spaces and hyphens, but no similar optical sensors found.
If nobody here knows what it is, is there a suggested website dedicated to opto/IR sensors?
I think the transistor is an NPN, and presume any generic such as 2N2222 will suffice, as the current drain is low.
Unfortunately, when built, I bent the transistor leads over, then securely epoxied the (printed) face of the transistor onto the PCB.
... will add photo later from cell phone, as DSLR now playing up again.

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Chances are you used a phototransistor TPS604.

Thank you. I think that's it, as when I re-examined the sensor casing (after cleaning off some epoxy), I found it has a "T" in front, a gap which is probably the worn off P, then S604-9F.
ie: T S604 - 9F
Basically, I'm trying to get the specs of the circuit & components to see what maximum frequency it can read, and to simulate it in LTSpice.
A faulty IR remote control triggered me to re-activate this old circuit.
011.jpg
Cell phone camera with 'LED flashlight' collimator lens as macro lens. (fd about 1/2" / 12.7mm).
.. Found it!! :):D
https://datasheet.octopart.com/TPS604-Toshiba-datasheet-104640.pdf

Last edited:

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
You know you could have simply followed my link, do you? ;)
That I did do so. That's the PDF I downloaded to my 'pee-see'. :D
Thanks for the link.
..Interesting to see the last two characters are date of production (I didn't know).
Year, month: so I guess 9F is 2009 and February.
Looking at the sensor's specs and the transistor, which is 2N3904 NPN, this should easily read pulse-trains from my TV remote, etc.
Want to read output on my 'scope.

Last edited: