Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Oscilloscope used as a component tester

Gillie

Apr 14, 2017
Just about to hook up my new DSO as component tester, using X-Y mode. I am aware of the circuit and the way it works. Just not sure whether the scope probes should be set a X1 or X10 (or does it matter?).

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Gillie . . . . .

It would just effect the overall display size . . . . and with that low impedance of testing involved, any loading effect would not be a consequence.
I would be using a 1X.

" OCTOPUS " . . . . . . Semiconductor Tester Waveforms
OCTOPUS SEMI TESTER.png

73's de Edd

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
I found by experiment that a 'scope (20MHz/div dual-trace) also works in feedback configuration to create a fairly accurate sine-wave of resonant capacitor frequency.
C.Fds=1/((2*pi())*f.Hz)
Connected cap between [+] signal input to [+] signal output.
Handy for caps with worn screen-printing.
I managed to read accurately up to about 200MHz, after this waveform becomes 'fuzzy'.
Also tried same for home-wound and retail inductors - does not work. (50Hz mains pickup).

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Can an oscilloscope be used to test the value of an air-wound single-layer inductor coil?
Or, for that matter, any devices' inductance?
My DMM 'L' range's lowest is 2nH, so reasonably accurate down to about 0.2nH.
Meter blew recently, anyway (wrong scale and probe-sockets - 220V RMS 50Hz AC while still on 'L' range).
..%ph#u@%^)^!! said he.
However, as scope cap-test (above post) seems more accurate than DMM at smaller values,
i'm hoping that it can do the same service to my 'Coiled Creations'.
Plan to test in the region of 5nH>0.1nH with high accuracy requirement.
I have a home-built (kit) of a frequency/waveform generator 0Hz-1MHz at 0-10Vpp producing SIN/SQR/SAW.
Could this be used to 'resonate' the coil, then scope measures.. erm.. peak?
My plan is to design/test/build RF filters, wavetraps, antennas in the VHF (AM) range of 110-150MHz.
Way above 1MHz, so my train of thought is this:
As feedback cap input+<>output+ with grounds hooked together forms an oscillator at res. freq of cap,
and sine voltage about 10 V pp, the oscillator could 'drive' the coil at higher frequency.
Then where to from here?
Fairly new to scope, so full capabilities of testing not yet learnt. ^^

elebish

Aug 16, 2013
You may be referring to a curve tracer. I would use direct probes, a gain of .5 volts for Horizontal, 1 volt for vertical and I would direct couple the probes (DC). Be careful not to over bias bipolar transistors as they will destroy. Also, watch your collector voltage! Ed.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
THIMC,

While your posts are of interest it deserves its own topic. Hijacking another member's topic is not good or accepted forum etiquette.

Chris