Maker Pro
Maker Pro

outdoor (Aqua) weather power points contain moisture, dirt and rusted screws

Phillc1

Oct 5, 2021
Would the lack of plastic pips on the screws holding the base of the Aqua power point to the wall,negatively affect the waterproof seal?
I have a certificate of compliance on the job, however after several years ( presumably the life of the silicon sealant) the outdoor weather proof power points are causing the RCDs to trip.
I assume the plastic pips supplied with he product are there for a reason.

Attachments

• corroded outdoor PP.jpg
    corroded outdoor PP.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 18
  • nopips.jpg
    nopips.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 18

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Don't understand the question, OF COURSE a unit meant to be sealed from weather, is going to have a shorter service life if it is not.

Whatever these pips are, if you can't get or make some equivalent, then you could seal it with sensor safe (non acid cure) silicone after cleaning out dirt, evacuating moisture and cleaning off corrosion.

More info could be helpful.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Not only the seals on the screws but the massive great unsealed cable entry at the rear.
Too late for this fitting but when the new unit is fitted, all these points should be sealed with non-acid silicone sealer.

It is possible whomever installed the current unit, sealed around the complete perimeter thinking that would suffice.
Sadly though, it has been my experience that badly installed units such as yours gets moisture entry via the brick cavity which in this instance is unsealed and the problem.

Last edited:

Phillc1

Oct 5, 2021
Don't understand the question, OF COURSE a unit meant to be sealed from weather, is going to have a shorter service life if it is not.

Whatever these pips are, if you can't get or make some equivalent, then you could seal it with sensor safe (non acid cure) silicone after cleaning out dirt, evacuating moisture and cleaning off corrosion.

More info could be helpful.
Not only the seals on the screws but the massive great unsealed cable entry at the rear.
Too late for this fitting but when the new unit is fitted, all these points should be sealed with non-acid silicone sealer.

It is possible whomever installed the current unit, sealed around the complete perimeter thinking that would suffice.
Sadly though, it has been my experience that badly installed units such as yours gets moisture entry via the brick cavity which in this instance is unsealed and the problem.
The heads of the internal screws have a little covers (called pips) which are missing. I am assuming that UV damage has eventually caused the perimeter silocon to fail. Thanks for the response.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
The heads of the internal screws have a little covers (called pips) which are missing. I am assuming that UV damage has eventually caused the perimeter silocon to fail. Thanks for the response.

No, it's the unsealed cable entry that is of primary concern as I have already told you.

Those little covers do bugger-all and best to seal up instead with the abovementioned silicone.