Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Outdoor Motion chasing led light strips

Craig A H

Jun 23, 2017
Hi Guys,
Yet another total noob looking for inspiration.
I am planning on installing led light strips to my outdoor path that light and follow motion in either 500mm lengths or 1m lengths with a pir. Both side of the path illuminating at the same time.
Ideally using a 5v circuit so i can send it into the house and run a intelligent socket (samsung home automation socket) with a usb socket to control power to the strips via sunset sunrise times.
I would like to use bright leds if possible.
Can anybody help me with the circuit layout and parts required.
Pirs will probably be 6 or 12 number hc-sr501.
Any help seriously appreciated.
Thanks.

Craig.

Attachments

• 20170626_103006.jpg
    20170626_103006.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 123

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Some LED strips have an IC for each RGB LED then a digital controller can address each LED individually.

Craig A H

Jun 23, 2017
Wow.
Thank you for the response.
I think just having a full strip light at once is easier to control and build for me as i dont want to have the issue of each strip having a sensor it each end to pick up the direction of traffic.
I am a complete noob to electronics and circuits so wish to keep it simple. I would love a cluster of leds pulsing in brightness near motion but way beyond me!
Hence a 500mm strip lighting at once will be fine for me to light the approx footfall step. I just want to figure out how to power each unit linked together.
This will make led changeouts easier down to disconnecting the strip and replacing that strip only.
Unit being 2 strips of led and a motion sensor.
I think a light up interval of 2-3 seconds and staying on during retrigger with give the effect.
Having the light fade out would be nice too. Rather than straight on off.

Thoughts are alwaus very appreciated.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I have never seen an LED strip with the LEDs chasing but I have made many chasers myself. If only one or a few LEDs are turned on at a time then the strip is fairly dim. Maybe the controller can light most of the LEDs and make a running turned off LED or a few of them.