Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Outlet got wet

Marshall80

Apr 11, 2018
By all means post some pictures of the back of the receptacle once you carefully pull it out of the box.
Here come pictures... Nothing appears wet or charred to my untrained eyes. There's no burnt smell either. Lots of dust which I know isn't good. Used q-tips and cleaned it. I'm sending a pic of this stuff, maybe mold I don't know, that was around 1 of the wires near the connectors or whatever it's called...ull see in my pics. THANK YOU THANK YOU for helping me!!!!!!

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Marshall80 . . . . . . .

Now, these pics look real. . . . .excepting my being able to zero in on the brick type and its mortar mix..

Looks like you are just having a conventional WHITE duplex outlet that some klutz then placed an IVORY faceplate on.
A name brand Leviton could range in the $ 2-4 price range for a single unit . . . . with that $19.95 . . .that you are showing, being the " a sucker is born everyday pricing ".
Flipping the CORRECT circuit breaker OFF and pulling the faceplate and then pulling the complete outlet for inspection could then possibly just show a trace of alkali deposit like you see on plumbing, if the unit arced over and almost instantly arc / boiled off all of that water being across an AC conductive path.
Worse case would be a gray or blackened area around the terminals plastic.
Then you would change out the unit . . . . by EXACTLY replicating the wiring in a changeout, with BLACK being the HOT AC wire WHITE being the neutral / cold AC wire and either bare copper or green wiring connecting to the center round ground terminal. Wires get wrapped around terminal screws clockwise. Screw terminals are preferred to the optional push in wire connectors, due to contact area and current carrying capability enhancement.

AND THEN . . . .almost as if by magic . . .two more pics just appeared

I don't see any damage incurred, as not even enough water was present to effect the dust layer on top, so it must have just flowed down at the center and flashed off.
The tightness of the two sets of Romex may preclude pulling the outlet further out for any closer inspection, unless you unscrew from the wiring. This is daisy- chained such that power comes into the outlet with one wire set and flows out on the other wire set to feed another wall outlet elsewhere.
The top left BLACK-HOT screw terminal has one half-assed wire wrap . . . it not making its full 3/4 turn.

73's de Edd

Last edited:

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
A few problems here.
The biggest sin is the cut off ground wire. Neither metal box or receptacle are bonded. This is unsafe.
Second, the nm cables are not protected from abrasion where they enter those holes.
This type of box is supposed to have a clamp that secures the cable and protects the cable from rubbing on the sharp metal edge of the entry holes
Third, (and my pet peeve) is they didn't leave enough spare wire to resplice the wires. There is supposed to be 6" of spare conductors so it can be worked on.

Had they left a few more inches of slack you may have been able to cut off a tiny bit of burned (from arcing) insulation on the existing cables and expose enough slack of that (cut off) bare ground wire to properly bond the box. It doesn't appear that that can be done unless there's more slack than the photos show.

Sorry to tell you, but this simple fix will likely turn into a big job because it was done by a do it yourself electrician.

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
I'm not an electrician but a ferrule could be used to extend the ground wire to allow for reconnecting. If the OP does not have the correct crimper a carefully used side cutter would do in a pinch.

The missing ground wire here means that all plugs downstream are also without ground

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I would talk to your landlord. If he's reasonable person he/she should pay to have someone correct it. Tell him you are willing to pay for the receptacle, ($4) but he needs to correct the illegal outlet for safety reasons. The place shouldn't have been rented out in the first place with a hazard like that.
Then, (cue the violin music) proceed to talk about how concerned you are about your daughter/niece..etc. and how they could've been electrocuted.
Yes, it could be half-arse fixed but why not have it fixed correctly.

Landlord has an obligation to rent out a safe place.

Btw, aside from other violations, the wrong type box was used as it's too small per box fill rules.

Marshall80

Apr 11, 2018
but he needs to correct the illegal outlet for safety reasons. The place shouldn't have been rented out in the first place with a hazard like that.

Landlord has an obligation to rent out a safe
Tha fios agaibh,
On my way out the door, crunched for time and will respond further later but really wanted to say quickly....
This house I live in was sold about 6 months ago, while I was already occupying it. I say that to say, the previous owner/my landlord the first 2 years I lived here was sweet as pie but if i dare say, a "slumlord" on all accounts. Countless issues! To name just 1... A tree fell on/in my house! Old landlord refused to remove the other half of rotten tree still standing, leaning directly over my bedroom.
Anyway, the man who bought the property 6 months ago and is now my landlord is wonderful!!! Poor guys busy trying to fix everything that my slumlord previous landlord dead half-heartedly. Things like super gluing part of the fridge that broke and the handle on the oven super glued on. 6 pipes have burst since he bought the property. Point being he didn't thoroughly inspect the property like I think a person would when buying something because of the fact that we were in the property already. I will make him aware of the electrical issues. He's incredibly quick at responding and immediately rectifying any issues. I'm positive that he will do what needs doing to make it safe and legal.
Thank you so much for all your help! I just can't thank you enough!

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Marshall80, Sorry about your situation.
I understand having a lot of things to fix, I'm sure they will get corrected soon. I just don't like people put in a hazardous spot.

In the meantime put a warning note on the electrical panel so that no one accidentally turns on that circuit breaker, ....and perhaps move out of the beedroom until that tree is trimmed?

Last edited: