Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Panasonic CT-36SL13G Blown Fuse Issue

bandit

May 13, 2007
Hello Everyone,
I have a Panasonic CT-36SL13G TV manufactured in Nov. 2003 that I have stored in my garage from May 2010 to Oct 2010 because I was having renovations done to my 2 room basement. I have kept this set in my basement for 2 years now ever since I purchased a flat screen HD TV. Anyway, last Saturday, I put the TV back into service as my home renovations were completed. When I pluged the TV in, it worked great for about 5 days. Then, afterwards, the set wouldnt power up. I took the back cover off today and saw a BLOWN 6.3A / 125V glass type fuse. The only glass type fuse that I see in this TV on PS board. I am not sure what caused the fuse to blow. There are no electronic suppliers in my area other than Radio Shack. Radio Shack carries a 6.3A /250V fuse. Would installing a fuse of this rating in lieu of 6.3A / 125V cause further damage?

Also, what could have caused the fuse to burn out? There were no weather storms or electrical disturbances that I know of since I put the TV back into service. Is this perhaps a known service issue with Panasonic TV's? :confused:

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!!
The Bandit

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
We could speculate all day on why a fuse would blow.
Fuses are rated for the full voltage they CAN handle at that amperage.
You can use a fuse rated for 250v in a 125v circuit with no problems. You would not
be wanting to use a fuse rated at 125v in a 250V circuit.
Some cheap fuses will be rated at 125V or 32v, ... but a fuse rated at 250v will work fine at the lower voltages. (I suppose cheaper composition of the fuse element to save money, would explain why lower voltage rated fuses).
If I was you, I'd just replace the fuse, and worry about any possible problems if it blows again.

bandit

May 13, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I assume that your answer to my question is YES !! However, in checking with Radio Shack, they say all we have is 6.3A /250V SLOW BLOW fuse type. I dont know if the old blown 6.3A / 125V is a SLOW BLOW type. Will that make a difference? I am assuming that the old burned fuse is NOT a SLOW BLOW type.
So sorry I didnt mention this in my original post. The Radio Shack guy didnt mention the SLOW BLOW to me on the phone. I only discovered it when I went there in person!! I'm being carefull here because I dont want to ruin other component parts !!

Thanks for your help. Most appreciated !!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There should be something either written on the board, or on the fuse itself.

Get all those letters and numbers and tell us.

bandit

May 13, 2007
I appreciate the reply. I will tell you exactly for both the fuse and the board.

On the blown fuse, on one end: LF. or E.6.3A/125V
On the blown fuse, on other end: 233 then & diamond symbol with the letters PSB in it, then a circle symbol with an arrow pointing almost west, then another circle symbol with the letters UL in it, followed by another circle symbol with the letters SA in it.

On the PS board, where the fuse goes: Caution
See Fuse Notice
125V / 250V 6.3A

I hope the above helps. I am just unsure if I should replace the blown fuse with a slow
blow type. Also, I'm hoping that the fuse blew thru normal wear and isn't related to the Horizontal Output Transistor, or some other component.

Thank you.
The Bandit

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I can't be certain, but I'd think it is a normal fast blow fuse. (F before 6.3A indicated "Fast")

Does it look like it has a spring in it? If so, then it is a slow blow fuse. Don't replace a fast blow fuse with a slow blow fuse.

bandit

May 13, 2007
Thanks for the reply. The blown fuse has NO spring in it. Therefore, after reviewing your reply, it must be a Fast Blow 6.3A/125V fuse.

If you don't mind, I wish to learn something and would appreciate it very much if you could explain why a Slow Blow fuse is not recommended? I just don't understand the difference!! I'm asking the question only because I have run accross various sites like these that say it's alright to use a Slow Blow as a replacement. Since I am not sure, I'll stick to your recommendation but would appreciate a reply.

https://www.electronicspoint.com/panasonic-ct-36sl13g-blown-fuse-issue-t227328.html

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/advice/t-44196.html

Thank you.
The Bandit

bandit

May 13, 2007
I suppose a simple question of a fuse replacement as to it being alright to replace a FAST ACTING 6.3A/125V with a SLOW BLO 6.3A/250V is NOT as simple as I thought!! I'd really like to resolve this issue and would appreciate a reply from all the experienced Guru's that will offer up some help here. Especially to those that have worked on a Panasonic CT36SL13G model with the same known issue!!!

Thanks guys.
The Bandit

ayush

Oct 31, 2010
Fast blow fuses are just the ordinary fuses and are most easy to get. Replacing with any 6 to 6.5 Amps non-slowblow type fuse shouldn't hurt.

Before putting in a new fuse and powering it on, DON'T FORGET to fix the fault that caused the fuse to blow. Most probably there's a short circuit somewhere in the power supply section. Check the diodes, the mains filter capacitor, the transistors driving the chopper transformer and, the horizontal output transistor (usually a big transistor near flyback transformer). Since your tv was sitting in the garage for years, this could have been caused by dirt and moisture getting in. :)

ayush

Oct 31, 2010
there's also a possibility that this was caused by arcing from the flyback transformer. This can happen if there was excessive dirt and moisture inside when you operated this tv. Clean it thoroughly.