Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Panasonic SC-BT730 doesn't turn on - error F61

pkouzm

Mar 18, 2016
Hello, few days back my Panasonic SC-BT730 5.1 Theater system stopped working. When I was trying to turn it on it just produced a click sound and turned off in less then 1 second. Sometimes the error message F61 was shown.

I found that F61 error means problems with Fan, so I ordered the right model of fan and replaced it. Unfortunately it didn't help. I contacted Panasonic support, and they suggested to send the Player to them (Texas, not sure why there is no Panasonic service centers in my area - NY, NYC/Brooklyn), but the mandatory diagnostic only will cost 75$. So, I bet the fixing will cost much more than the player part of theater system. So I better try all the best to fix it myself.

Hence, I have 3 questions:

1. What else can cause the problem? I also found that in some cases the F61 can be related to amplifier, but as it is relatively expensive, I don't want to blindly replace it without being sure.

2. Panasonic SC-BT730 is a Theater system (bluray player + speakers), can I replace the bluray player only? (sorry if the question is silly - I'm trying to find feasible option)

3. There is no Panasonic service centers in my area (NY, Brooklyn) but maybe there are non-panasonic repair centers where I can fix my Player/Theater ? Please, advise if you have experience with Panasonic repair.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir pkouzm . . . . . . .

How about checking with some older info on a similar unit at this site and see if any info is relevant to your units situation.

PLUS . . . .below . . . . I am giving you the master plan to the evil plot of the elusive and "dreaded F61" error. And it seems like you just might fit in the middle situation.

scN63Vn.png

This would also involve some techno expertise and possibly minimal instrumentation utilization and and some schematic reading along with parts ID.

That prior info at this site for the basic Panasonic family akin to your unit was:

https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/panasonic-f61-code.229785/

(I do have your units exact techno info if needed)

73's de Edd

... . . . .

pkouzm

Mar 18, 2016
Thanks a lot 73's de Edd for the information you provided. I'll start looking for other similar topics as you suggested. As for the table you attached, I'll try to work in this direction, but to be honest - I don't have right instruments even to check the short circuit, and my skills are poor.

I was hoping that someone would suggest me which part except fan can cause the F61 error, and how to insure easily (if it is possible) this part is not operating properly, and I would order this part, replace it and fix the player. But from your table I understand that the problem is not simple at all, there are multiple modules which can cause the error, and looks it is too complicated for me to fix.

Hence, looks I have to find some service center in my area.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir pkouzm. . . . . . .

" I found that F61 error means problems with Fan"

Heh . . .heh . . .heh . . . I wonder just how many people are fooled by that fan . . . . . with its stilled blades?

Seems like a nephew of mine presented me with his "Puny-sonic" unit back in very early 2000'ish times to check out for him.
I also noticed a non running fan at the rear, but after checking the schematic I saw that it was being used in an on demand situation, whereupon the fan.
only comes on when the monitored audio outputs heat sink's temperature is rising excessively.

It turned out that his problem was the tin oxide / silicone grease mix between the power modules and their massive aluminum heat sink, which had dried out by
the silicone element creeping away laterally to / on the side area of the heat sink.
(You might say that it was trying to . . . . . . "beat the heat" )
Thereby, it had left a dried out tin oxide film, with it now being a thermal insulator instead of being its prior efficient heat conductive medium.
Of course . . . this condition took at least a full 5 minute of run time, and its heating, for it to be evident, with a finger placed atop the heat sink.
Overall . . . . . ending up being a VERY simple fix.
But . . . . . . your unit is shutting off within probably a second or two.

On your unit we know that the internal standby power supply is being operational, for there to be a possibility of that display giving you that error 61 reading.
If you have a common DVM and can check transistor/diode junctions . . .or learn online . . you are off to a start.
Also, taking closeup photos of a select area of interest would also come into play.

Thasssit . . . . .

73's de Edd