Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Paperwork for AVO two piece valve tester.

Technomaniac

Oct 31, 2020
I have just today bought an early-ish AVO valve tester which is yet to be packed and posted to me, it's to come from Europe, bought on a popular auction website.
The model number was not in the description, and I have enquired in regard to this, but meanwhile I have been looking online to find a likeness of the model, with the model number specified.
The unit apparently predates the first one with a model number, and is described as something like "Two Panel". Assuming it to be repairable, I will be looking for whatever the model had for data sheets, cards, or a valve list in a book. Also I will need an instruction book and schematic. If anyone has these, or can point me to some, that would be great !
I have been trying to obtain an AVO valve tester for some years, this was not the model I had in my sights, but the price was more in keeping with my budget. I did have an Australian made valve tester years ago but sold it in a quiet period. Then I needed it. I went looking for a replacement and bought a few US ones but found that they didn;t cover lots of Australian made and European valves, which meant determining the data (sometimes incorrectly) as I went. Hopefully owning a British one will solve some of my problems. Googling this "Two Panel" model brought me to this forum today.

Last edited:

Technomaniac

Oct 31, 2020
Thanks, Bertus. The Instruction Manual with schematics were on that site, and I have saved that file. Just the data for testing the individual valves now to be found. I feel that I have downloaded valve testing info for a later model in the past, it may be useful for this "two panel' model if I don't get the specific testing data.

Technomaniac

Oct 31, 2020
I have found a site which has the valve data for several AVO models of tester, including the "two panel'. It seems that there was no real model number for the device, as everyone is referring to it as "two panel". So I should be all set, as long as the parcel arrives in one or two pieces !

It's the same file for the range of models, they had standardised. They are to be commended for such a policy.

Thanks again, Bertus. This is the site:
https://frank.pocnet.net/instruments/AVO/MF/100815_AVO_VDM_17.pdf

Last edited:

Technomaniac

Oct 31, 2020
Bertus, you have some good data there. I have laser printed three manuals for the "two panel", AVO seem to call it "AVO Valve Tester" as apparently it was their first, and only one for quite a time. (Apparently 1936, but with later sockets added, it is good for the latest tubes) So I'm OK for data now, thanks. Anxiously awaiting the arrival of the actual device.
I have thousands of used valves that were replaced in customers jobs and rental stock, that I need to check and put on line for sale. Probably most of them will be usable, we were quite fussy in our rejecting and replacing them when they were readily available and inexpensive (in the 'good old days').. One thing I have found though, over the years in storage, some of the miniature tubes have corrosion on the pins, and it can occur at (or migrate to) the glass, where it cracks it. - Thanks for your help !

Technomaniac

Oct 31, 2020
Yes, true. But a corroded pin near the glass could mean that it will happen down the track even if the vacuum is good at the time you clean up the pins. Why the corrosion? Because the corrosion is blue or green, that suggests that there is copper in the pin composition. I wondered about the possibility that someone had sprayed the pins with a lubricant to solve a poor socket contact problem, and the corrosion might have been due to that lubricant...