Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Parts recommendation needed

Nisc

May 2, 2013
I recently got an ultrasonic generator module:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/KEMO-ELECTRONIC-M048N-/28-6404

but I am having trouble finding a high frequency speaker or piezo-tweeter that can match its
Output Frequency: 8kHz ~ 40kHz. Either they do not go down to 8kHz or up to 40kHz. MCM Electronics do not respond to email, other than to bombard me with spam, so I assume they do not have anything to sell. Can anyone direct me to a speaker or tweeter for sale that meets the requirements of this ultrasonic generator? Thanks.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there
welcome :)

I googled
piezo speakers for ultrasonic use

and got dozens of hits :)

Ohhh and the brand of generator in your link also supplies speakers .... Kemo

cheers
Dave

Nisc

May 2, 2013
I also went through Google, and when you look into all those mentioned, none of the hits fit the spec (8kHz-40kHz). I'll say it again "Either they do not go down to 8kHz or up to 40kHz." Same with the stuff for sale at MCM. As for finding a Kemo Ultrasonic Speaker L002 (or any others recommended by the list that came with the module), I have not found any.

Nisc

May 2, 2013
your google foo isn't working too well then ;)

let me hold your hand for just one example of many :)

http://www.brocott.co.uk/electronic...ices/small-ultrasonic-piezo-speaker-l010.html

cheers
Dave
Thanks for the assist, I'll order it. Was hoping for local (USA) source, but I'm desperate. My google skill only works well when I know what I'm doing, which knocks out electronic parts. For Google you have to know exactly what to ask for by way of search terms. Anyway, can you help me with finding a 12 volt power supply? All I could find that has a outlet plug and bare wires to accommodate the ultrasonic module is this:
http://www.mpja.com/12-Volt-Unregulated-Power-Supply-4A/productinfo/17636 PS/
Will this work? If not can you recommend one that will (preferably from a USA source, as I hear England uses a different electrical outlet).

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Nisc,
no probs :)

looking at the link to your ultrasonic driver unit, it only requires 12V at 50mA ( 0.05A). so that 4 amp supply is a bit of an overkill,
unless you have other things you need to run from it at the same time ?

If you don't need to supply anything else, then a 12V 500mA (0.5A) would be more than enough but sometimes a little harder to find

on this page of that www site you linked to for the PSU there is a big selection ....
http://www.mpja.com/12-Volt-Adapter-Power-Supply/products/567/

there around 5 on that page that are around the 12V, 1A output, that would keep you happy :)

you sure you don't have any old 12VDC plug packs lying around home ? off an old calculator, games machine, computer modem or something ?
no point buying if you have an old one no longer in use ;)

Dave

Nisc

May 2, 2013
Hi Nisc,
no probs :)

looking at the link to your ultrasonic driver unit, it only requires 12V at 50mA ( 0.05A). so that 4 amp supply is a bit of an overkill,
unless you have other things you need to run from it at the same time ?

If you don't need to supply anything else, then a 12V 500mA (0.5A) would be more than enough but sometimes a little harder to find

on this page of that www site you linked to for the PSU there is a big selection ....
http://www.mpja.com/12-Volt-Adapter-Power-Supply/products/567/

there around 5 on that page that are around the 12V, 1A output, that would keep you happy :)

you sure you don't have any old 12VDC plug packs lying around home ? off an old calculator, games machine, computer modem or something ?
no point buying if you have an old one no longer in use ;)

Dave

I looked through those before posting, along with doing Google searches. That was the only power supply I could find that:
1. Had bare wires to connect to the ultrasonic module bare wires.
2. Had an outlet plug.
If you know of a "12V 500mA (0.5A)" power supply for sale that has the two features above, please let me know. I have failed to find anything else. If I had known that this adventure would be this difficult, I would of stuck to ultrasonic devices ready-to-go...I sure will not be fooling with any DIY junk from now on!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
you don't have any old 12V 0.5A (1A) plugpacks lying around the house ??
that was used on some other bit of gear that's no longer used ?
gosh if you lived close, I would post you one ... have so many

Nisc

May 2, 2013
you don't have any old 12V 0.5A (1A) plugpacks lying around the house ??
that was used on some other bit of gear that's no longer used ?
gosh if you lived close, I would post you one ... have so many

Never heard of it before. Did Google it. Looks like foreign plug for outlet (I'm in USA), and don't see anything I could attach the two wires to, so I'm not understanding how this would work.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I may be completely out of line with this, but here goes:
Is this ultrasonic generaor module made for use in the U.S. or U.K.?
Might the 50 Hz vs. 60 Hz difference come into play here?
Just a thought I had while veiwing these posts.
I'm a little confused about what exists,and what might be recommended.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Is this ultrasonic generaor module made for use in the U.S. or U.K.?
Might the 50 Hz vs. 60 Hz difference come into play here?

no, its a DC powered circuit, so it is irrelevant to if the power comes from a battery or an AC to DC power supply :)