Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PC diagnosis

jabsy

Oct 22, 2010
I am trying to find out a problem in PC that run for about seven minutes and switches off automatically and the numlock light remains on and power button doesnt work until I plug power cable out for the numlock light to go off is when it can switch on again. Another thing have noticed is after powering on the power button can't switch it off again. I have tried running it without the Hard disk but it still behaves the same. Because of the behavior of the numlock i think there some memory state being stored somewhere. Any one with idea please help.

carebare47

Oct 21, 2010
If you think it might be a memory problem then try replacing the memory and booting again. It is probably also worth seeing if another power supply does the job.

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
does it run fully?? by that i mean is it fully operational for the 7 minutes its on?

billd

Oct 3, 2010
If it is an older system, it could be that the CPU is overheating and shutting down the system for safety. Take the cover off and blow out the inside dust with an air compressor (do it outside and wear a dust mask).

As carebare47 mentioned, it could be a bad power supply but since the numlock light stays on - it sounds like something on the motherboard is overheating. Also, many newer power supplies have a delayed off - try holding the power button in for 4 to 10 seconds and see if it shuts down.

If there is more than one memory card, try removing all but one - you may have to change BIOS settings for the lower memory amount. If one card is bad, you can track it down this way. There are free memory checkers but 7 minutes is not long enough to run them.

Last edited:

jabsy

Oct 22, 2010
thank you guyz. billd why a mask? i am in my hostel so do i have to get one?

billd

Oct 3, 2010
thank you guyz. billd why a mask? i am in my hostel so do i have to get one?

If it is an older computer that has never had the dust blown out of inside of the case, blowing it out with an air compressor can create quite a "dust storm" that could make breathing, shall we say, unpleasant. If you don't mind breathing high volumes of dust, then you do not need a dust mask (perhaps a handkerchief or piece of fabric) - anything to cover your mouth and nose to keep the dust out of your lungs.

For additional clarity, if the CPU has a plastic cover over it for the cooling system, carefully remove the cover and blow out the dust that may have accumulated on and around the CPU heat sink. If the CPU is overheating because of dust accumulation and shutting down the system, you want to make sure the CPU and the cabinet cooling fans can work properly.

You also want to blow the dust out of the power supply. You do not need to take it apart unless it is clogged badly.

Of course, there could be many other problems causing the symptoms that you describe. However, before I troubleshoot any PC hardware problems, I always start by blowing the dust out of the cabinet and from around the CPU to make sure it is clean and cooling properly. If you do not have access to an air compressor, compressed air in cans may work OK for you.

I hope that clarifies the mask issue. Best wishes.