Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PC Gaming Steering wheel project

whizclips

Apr 27, 2013
Hello everyone,

I decided to start building my own custom PC gaming wheel by using a gamepad.

I own this gamepad(Quantum™ qhm7468-2v) - http://www.qhmpl.com/product/game-pad-qhm7468-2v.html

The steering wheel that I am building has a 100K potentiometer and buttons also.

I wanted to connect the potentiometer to the analog stick of the game pad without removing the analog stick from the gamepad. Basically it would be like connecting them in parallel. I do not want to destroy the gamepad and use it in future so I am doing this. Is it alright for the gamepad. And would this setup work. I wanted to ask before I did something wrong. The gamepad will have a hole on the side of the body from which I will pass wires and connect those to the analog stick.

The buttons would be connected to the 8 buttons I have on the game pad.

Plus i am also building the pedals with an old mouse. (left, right, and middle buttons for accel, brake and clutch)

Still thinking about the gearbox though. But I will build that too.

Thank You.

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
This is going to be very difficult, its not going to be as easy as throwing the 100K pot in there, you are going to need to read the voltages on the analog sticks pins when you move the stick left and right, and centered. Then you are going to have to replicate those voltages on the correct pins as you turn the wheel left and right, and when it is centered. The way that it works is an analog to digital converter which gives off a digital number representing left, right or centered, unless you change the programming on the controller/driver for it/the game you are playing you have to emulate these voltages EXACTLY or it either wont work at all, or it wont work properly.