Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PC interface for Elevator Monitoring System

Anthony.A

Oct 31, 2013
Dear all,

I'm an apprentice in the last year of Electronics Engineering, my project is to monitor an Elevator via PC.
I'm using the PIC18 as an intermediate device: "PC-> PIC18 -> Elevator controller".
The section "PIC18 -> Elevator" is handled smoothly, no problem with that.
The section "PC -> PIC18" is half done, I could get and understand the firmware that insures a USB communication.
However, I'm having a problem doing an Interface on the PC that responds to the received data from the PIC (i.e the elevator) and represent it in a cool way on a PC (it could be via LEDs on a terminal or maybe a fancy GUI of an elevator simulation etc...)

So basically I need some sort of Terminal (written on VB or whatever) that can read data from USB port and do a graphical action. Could anyone help me with that?

Thanks in Advance.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Do you have access to the source of a demo application that demonstrates the PC end of the USB interface?

That's where I'd start.

If I wanted to drive LEDs, I'd do that from the PIC. If your task is to interface to a PC, then you want to do something on the PC (or that's what I'd expect). Maybe you could have a web interface that allows the elevator's status to be viewed from the internet?

edit: This page has some details that may be useful if you don't have access to any samplr source.

Last edited:

Anthony.A

Oct 31, 2013
Hello Steve,

actually I just started with this project, I'm still collecting info and demo applications (I have the EasyPICv6).
WEB doesn't really interest me at the moment, what I really want is:

Getting information from the elevator's controller (basic relay switches) which triggers the PIC18's inputs, then the PIC18 will send data to the PC (in HEX form maybe) via USB, finally the PC will show this result in a certain way (maybe basic LED interface with labels or a fancier way such as basic elevator animation).

can u help me with the above? thx

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
See the link I provided.

edit: BTW, saying "in HEX form maybe" suggests you're not very familiar with communications protocols. Is that true?

Anthony.A

Oct 31, 2013
you're right, I'm still a newbie in this, and I'm still collecting articles and info. the article that u provided seems a great help, thx.
I still have to check how to manipulate that data coming from the usb port and use it in VB