Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PCB Connectors

rjanish

Jul 12, 2010
I am a physics student building a simple circuit to be used in a research lab, and I having trouble deciding what type to connectors to use in my design. My design will call for 2 signal inputs, 1 power input and 1 signal output on the pcb. I was hoping to mount the pcb inside an aluminum enclosure, on the panel of this enclosure there will be 3 bnc connectors for the incoming and outgoing signal lines, and a connector for a wall-plug ac/dc adapter for power. My plan was then to solder, on the inside of the enclosure, two wires to each of these connectors and hopefully have each pair of wires end inside some sort of nylon connector which would attach to a receptacle mounted on the pcb (smd, preferably). The connectors should be rated for up to 5 amps, and preferable would stand less than 0.75 in vertical when plugged into the board, however this height requirement can be ignored if necessary. I was wondering anybody here could point me in the right direction to find something that would work for the nylon connector/pcb receptacle combo?

blocka

Jul 7, 2010
not sure exactly what you mean, maybe some type of molex connector similar to the old IDE harddrive power cable? But check out Digikey

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
Well I don't know what your enclosure looks like relative to the PCB but if you are already specifying BNC(bulkheads) Than just look for one that mounts to your board directly. If that is not an option then you may need to way the issue of signal integrity(does it need to be 50/75ohm Zo). If your signal is low frequency then sure any adequately rated header type connector could work.

Now with connectors you have to beware of the hidden inherent cost, Crimpers! Most connectors require some sort of crimper which is a proprietary tool for attaching the wires/cables to the pins of the connector. We typically pay between $300-$800 for a new crimper.

If cost is a serious constraint then look for something like an IDC connector for use with ribbon cable(no special crimping required). With ribbon you will need to double or triple up wires to get the current rating you are looking for.