Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PCB layout software?

Sidecar Bob

Dec 19, 2021
I'm just looking for something to draw schematics right now but I will probably eventually want to design PCBs too. It sounds like KiCad is what most in this thread recommended. Should I download it or has that changed in the last year?

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
The new ver 6 has just been released this month.

Sidecar Bob

Dec 19, 2021
Thanks. I've installed it but who knows when I'll get a chance to try it out ;-)

Simon mugo

Mar 27, 2022
Hello,

I was thinking to try and do my own PCB layouts myself And then generate the gerber files so I can Give them to my PCB manufacturer.

But I never used such a software and I would like to ask this forum which one I should use?

It should allow me to design layouts from the smallest to the biggest pitch sized electronic components for example 0402 components up to normal sized ones and chip pitches from 2.54mm to 0.5 mm.

I also need a software that is simple and popular to use with Plenty of tutorials on YouTube and that can allow me to design multi layered PCB with ground planes. Also if possible to make and test circuits.

A phone support line would be nice also.
All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
So many softwares are available in the market but for me KiCAD has ways won my heart. I still feel attached to it as the best open source software for schematic and PCB layout. Others like fritzing, proteus, eagle etc are also good but it depends on your preferences.

KingWhiskers

Apr 6, 2020
I have been getting to grips with Kicad. Still on W7 Ultimate 64.
There are some help files and though they are for the previous version they do let you design a basic board and generate the Gerber files. There is lots of YouTube content on Kicad going from Version 5 up to the latest Version 6.
I have been playing designing a 3 layer RGB 8x8x8 light cube from someone else's non Kicad schematics. A bit difficult for a newbie who knows nothing about electronics. Even so though I have completed the controller board, the column controller board and the Led connections board and the board that you attach the leds to. There is error checking in the eschema, the schematic drawing part and error checking in the board layout.
There is even a plugin to create Teardrop connections. There is even a 3D view. That is my Column Controller Board. Front and back views.3DViewWithFCuFill.JPG 3DViewWithFCuFillBack.JPG

nigelwright7557

May 21, 2022
There are numerous free pcbcad programs now.
I got fed up with buggy software so wrote my own.
Its 30 years old now and has transitioned from assembler to C++, C# and now .net core 7.
If I see a way to improve it I make the changes.
I like my "swap auto placer" that swaps around similar components to find shortest net.
On a couple of times it has allowed routing of something that otherwise would have been unroutable.

bidrohini

Feb 1, 2023
I'm just looking for something to draw schematics right now but I will probably eventually want to design PCBs too. It sounds like KiCad is what most in this thread recommended. Should I download it or has that changed in the last year?
Kicad 7 is the latest version. You can use easyeda too.