Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pcb not working?

Stevehawk

May 31, 2018
E3BDC090-9AE0-41F3-B008-AAD51CE1EB99.jpeg Hello, i am new to this and was hoping for some information. This is actually a picture of a super nintendo video game that is not working. I checked continuity and everywhere seems good except where there are these black marks in the trace. The marks i am referring to are located just above the 7th and 10th fingers from the left. Is this why the game isnt working? Is it easily fixed? I would like to avoid wires or anything messy as this game is very valuable. Thanks for all of your help!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Looks very much like tracks are blown.
You can be sure this sort of thing doesn't just happen on it's own and there will be an underlying cause you will have to find.
Fixing fine traces like this and indeed finding what caused the problem is not for an amature as you will do more harm than good.
Suggest that if it is as valuable to you as you say, take it to somone who knows what they are doing.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Stevehawk . . . . .

If those are being black spots where the foil path has vaporized at those points, there is some serious power passing in that circuitry in order to do that, and a fault somewhere within the power loop.
Take DVM in hand and turn it on and place in its lowest ohms mode . . .low range . . if not being an auto ranging unit.
Then note the display of an open circuit, then short the probes together to confirm how it displays a shorted connection.
Then scrape enough of the green conformal coating from the RED and BLUE top X marks, until you see shiny copper to probe to . Then test between the associative RED and BLUE X's to confirm if there is being an open circuit at the black gaps..

PCB . . . . .
5vVVP5S.jpg

73's de Edd

Last edited:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Back in the day, we routinely repaired damaged circuit board traces with insulated, solid, 30 AWG wire-wrap wire. Short breaks could be repaired with uninsulated lengths of stripped wire, and longer breaks (like an entire track vaporized!) could require 24 AWG solid wire and also a spot or two of glue to hold the repair in place against the board.

In either case, you need to clean the ends of the remaining traces down to bare copper, as @73's de Edd mentioned in his post #3, and tin them with solder before "tacking" the repair wire in place. But the main thing you need to know is WHY the traces failed. You absolutely must find and fix that problem FIRST, as @Bluejets mentioned in his post #2.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
have you got a bigger picture of the whole board?

The pinout of the SNES cartridge (which is what I assume we're looking at?) doesn't have any corresponding connection details that might indicate HOW the fault occurred.

I might have expected a 'fault' on the power lines for one reason or another but if the fault is on a data or address line (which these appear to be) then you're in for a nasty surprise......