Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PCB relay trying to figure how to wire it...

pepslight

Mar 4, 2016
Hey folks my first time here.

I´m trying to mount LED inside my computer case, I bough 2 Led stripes going to use a molex 12v as a source. Now my problem is that I let my computer on very often and I want sometimes to switch those dam lights off. on my computer case, I only have a switch. When I press the switch the LED goes on and After releasing the switch the LED goes off. Im on my first year of electronic and funny enough we started last week doing Relays :D. so I bought a pcb relay that my light keep on when I release my switch and goes off after I press it, After buying my Relay and arriving home, I was all happy that I was going to finally do some practical use... And well i was surprised I just cant mannage to wire my circuit I tried everything. My biggest proble is the diagram, I cant figure it out. The diagram we used at school looks so different I dont have a clue were to wire everything.

On the cable counts:

From my pcb Switch I have 2 cables,

from my Power supply the 2 + and -

and to finish more 2 cables + and - from my Led strip

this bellow is the diagram from my PCB Relay RT424012

201321761648726.jpg
083-0078-1.jpg

And I uploaded a picture of the relay I wired last week at my school... Is so different I dont mannage to understand the diagram above could anyone give me a help :( thank very much Peps.

Attachments

• 20160304_184751.jpg
    20160304_184751.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 144
Last edited by a moderator:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hey folks my first time here.

I´m trying to mount LED inside my computer case, I bough 2 Led stripes going to use a molex 12v as a source. Now my problem is that I let my computer on very often and I want sometimes to switch those dam lights off. on my computer case, I only have a switch. When I press the switch the LED goes on and After releasing the switch the LED goes off. Im on my first year of electronic and funny enough we started last week doing Relays :D. so I bought a pcb relay that my light keep on when I release my switch and goes off after I press it, After buying my Relay and arriving home, I was all happy that I was going to finally do some practical use... And well i was surprised I just cant mannage to wire my circuit I tried everything. My biggest proble is the diagram, I cant figure it out. The diagram we used at school looks so different I dont have a clue were to wire everything.

On the cable counts:

From my pcb Switch I have 2 cables,

from my Power supply the 2 + and -

and to finish more 2 cables + and - from my Led strip

this bellow is the diagram from my PCB Relay RT424012

201321761648726.jpg
083-0078-1.jpg

And I uploaded a picture of the relay I wired last week at my school... Is so different I dont mannage to understand the diagram above could anyone give me a help :( thank very much Peps.
I don't think you can do what you want with a single button and a relay.
You can wire a relay to act as a 'latch' so that when you push the button it turns on and stays on... but you would need a different button to turn it off.
In order to do what you want, you need a push-on/push-off button, or you need more relays to build a 'flip-flop' circuit with.

Last edited by a moderator:

pepslight

Mar 4, 2016
dam ok thx. Could you show me how to wire in a way that when I push the buttom it goes off ??? that would be awsome thx

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
dam ok thx. Could you show me how to wire in a way that when I push the buttom it goes off ??? that would be awsome thx
I would suggest using a 'latching' type of push-button instead of the push-button you currently have. This would be the only part you need.
Is you have your heart set on using relays, I've seen a number of 'flip-flop' designs using 3 to 7 relays. You send a pulse to the group of relays and it will toggle the output each time you hit the button.
The design can be quite complicated and you risk short-circuits if wired incorrectly.

pepslight

Mar 4, 2016
I will ask my teacher in the end how to solder a new buttom on my computer pcb. Thank you very much, I finally installed the led without switch and it looks really really pretty

Attachments

• photo_2016-03-05_00-53-48.jpg
    photo_2016-03-05_00-53-48.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 117