Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PCB transformer split its core...

Saskcat

Nov 19, 2021
Good day.
I have a board that doesn't work. Upon inspection.. I see the transformer core has split or separated. I thought these were solid cores.. but not this one I guess.. can I...or has anyone tried to put this back together.. and is it glued or what holds it together... any ideas ??
Thanks..

Saskcat

Nov 19, 2021
Good day.
I have a board that doesn't work. Upon inspection.. I see the transformer core has split or separated. I thought these were solid cores.. but not this one I guess.. can I...or has anyone tried to put this back together.. and is it glued or what holds it together... any ideas ??
Thanks..

Attachments

• 20211119_105527.jpg
    20211119_105527.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 17

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Yes, but the windings are likely shorted which caused it to melt apart.

In other words, just shoring up the ferrite core likely won't fix it.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Saskat . . . . .
At the time that core started separating apart, that inductor / transformer then transitioned from being an effective inductance to a being a low resistance, the degree, being in accordance to the distance of separation.

OBSERVATION. . . .
Hmmmmmmmmmm . . . . . that center of the core E must be quite a loose / sloppy fit in order to let that wide slant develop . . . .that the loose E-core is presently now seen..

NOW we don't know FOR SURE if we have winding damage*** incurred so why not go for broke and try a refix of the separated core halves !
Now if you don't know " NUTTINS " 'bout ferrite transformer cores, you don't just slap their two halves FLUSH together, since their design aspect is wanting to avoid a possibility of full saturation of the core. So expect two specifically sized, small insulative spacers, being centered within and keeping the two core halves apart on your re assemblage of the unit .
I think I might see one, centered within the most visible portion at the outermost extended E-core .
You know of black plastic tape, but I see then using BLUE tape for their circumferal, core wrap arounds, but their plastic tape is being of the type that snaps or tears . . . . . but NOT stretches . . .like our family of black electrical tape would . . . . and you do NOT want a stretch effect , if being used for binding.

*** Put yer nose RIGHT up against the central winding and its edges to see if you can smell any burnt effect ?

If being my repair , I would already be having on hand, heat resistant KAPTON tape for the initial core wraparound and an outer binding choic of either radio dial cord, nylon fishing line ( NOT monofilament ! ) or two families of waxed cable lacing . . .flat or cord.
However, a John Public might only have 3M clear package wrapping tape and some type of twine / cord or heavy thread to bind with.
Then, I would not even bother in using a FOREVER commitmemnt . . . of super glue or epoxy family as an adhesive. Using no adhesive at all.
Instead I just measure off a 2 full wrap length of tape, cut to core width, if being overly wide, and then some HARD finger clamping of the core halves together while winding on the CONTINUALLY HARD tensioned tape until the 2 full turn stage.
Then over wrap the tape winding with an equally hard tensioned application of side by side turns of cord until having a full width wrap.
Then a tight knotting and a hold off of a cement blob to that knot heads application until making a final power up evaluation and some serious shake down / run time.

Thaaaaaaasssit . . . . . .

73's de Edd . . . . .

What a difference time makes . . . . .
1968: Having Long hair
2020: Longing for hair

davenn

Sep 5, 2009

Looking at the condition of the part of the rest of the board that I can see
The transformer is likely to be the least of your problems

Saskcat

Nov 19, 2021
Good day. Thank you for the replies. I am not an engineer... but I grasped much of what was laid out.
Davann ... the core in the photo was just for representation. That was from an led light bulb.
73's de Edd... that was a brain overload with much spillage... but mopped up the mess and I was thinking about a heat shrink tube. Thoughts?
Tha fios agaibh ... that is quite possible. The same problem has been with a half dozen of the control device. Some work on a partial basis and some don't seem to work at all (possibly due to the excess heat).
But fear not... I will strive forward and take control and tame the beast one way or another. Perhaps with a different supply source if that's what it takes. The control has been discontinued and surplus has run out.
This could be the final hour... to be continued

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Davann ... the core in the photo was just for representation. That was from an led light bulb.

So you didnt even post a photo of your unit ??
that deceives everyone and puts them on the wrong track to try and help you

Show photos of YOUR unit and PLEASE never do some other random pic in future

Last edited:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
I was thinking about a heat shrink tube.
That's probably going to require a FIERCE internal diameter (pricey), for a predetermined length / slice if it, to accommodate the core . but that could give a lesser level of solution. (Cause heat shrink has GIVE )
SEMANTICS . . . . .
There is a difference between SEPARATED its core and SPLIT its core . . . .(as in bwoke ) .