Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Peenemünde Document Translation (German)

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
At a recent space related event, there was a stall selling space-race artefacts, including documents relating to the weapons testing site of Peenemünde in Germany, from WWII. I'm aware of the history of the site and the developments from it - primarily the V2 rocket. I couldn't resist buying a few of the pages, as I'm hugely interested in the development of rockets though the years, and I'd never seen something like this before.

I was wondering if any of the German speakers here would be able to assist in translating the text, or perhaps give any ideas about what the documents may be about? It could be a recipe for sponge cake for all I know! I can read/write basic German, but the handwriting and content means it's beyond my abilities.

Here are some scans:

1.jpg 2.jpg

I'd be very grateful for any insight in to what these documents are about :).

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You're piling up difficulties:
- it's German
- it's handwritten
- it's patent-language

The first page is about adding Ac voltages of the same frequency. The second page is about a kind of bandpass ('Superweiche').
At a first glance thes edocuments are completely unrelated and possibly incomplete.
Let me give it a try, but I will need some time. Could you possibly provide copies with better contrast?

Harald

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
Yes - in principle, I agree with Harald K.
* The first document deals with subtracting two groups of signals having the same frequency (using a phase-reversal amplifier) ,
* The second paper seemingly describes a Q-enhanced active bandpass (using a valve and frequency-selective feedback); however, no input/output nodes can be seen. For sufficient feedback the circuit could work as an oscillator (in the paper, the term "oscillation" (Schwingung) appears).

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Thank you @Harald Kapp and @LvW, I really appreciate you taking time to have a look :). I have attached larger originals (as PDFs) and I've tweaked the contrast on the JPG attachments:

1.jpg 2.jpg

The documents are definitely incomplete, I suspect that the seller had obtained a few minor documents and then bundled them up in to small packages.

You've already given me an interesting insight in to what the documents are about - so please don't spend much time on this if it is difficult to read :). I just wanted to write some notes up so that I've got a clue as to what the documents are referring to, and you've already given me an overview.

Attachments

• img-161122132406.pdf
    279.3 KB · Views: 51
  • img-161122132218.pdf
    289 KB · Views: 41

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
The second document shows the principle of a "Meissner-Oscillator" - also known as "Armstrong-Oscillator".

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This is what I made of your papers: transscript of the handwritten text into typewritten German, followed by my humble attempt of a translation. Passages I couldn't decipher are marked as such.

Document #1:
2. Eine Schaltung, die geeignet ist, die Addition von Wechselspannungen gleicher Frequenz zweier Summensignal- Gruppen gemäß Anspruch durchzuführen, wobei die eine Gruppe von der anderen Gruppe zu subtrahieren ist, wobei die Phasenumkehr für die zu subtrahierende Gruppe durchgeführt entweder für jeden Summanden dieser Gruppe einzeln durch Verwendung phasenumkehrender Summandenverstärker und Verwendung eines gemeinsamen Summenverstärkers für beide Gruppen oder dadurch, daß die Summenspannung der zu subtrahierenden Gruppe zunächst getrennt gemäß Anspruch gebildet wird, wobei der Summenverstärker phasenumkehrend ist und seine Ausgangsspannung dem Eingang des Summenverstärkers der anderen Gruppe zusätzlich zugeführt wird.

2. A circuit suitable for the addition of AC voltages of two groups of signals (sums) of the same frequency according to this claim. Whereby one group is to be subtracted from the other. Whereby the phase inversion (phase reversal?) for the group to be subtracted can be done for each summand of the group by using phase-inverting amplifiers and using a common summing amplifier for both groups or by first adding the sum of voltages of the group to be subtracted where the summing amplifier is phase-inverting and the output voltage of this amplifier is additionally connected to the input of the summing amplifier of the other group.

Document #2:
Superweiche
Rückkopplung übers Schirmgitter
Vom Schirmgitter der Röhre wird über einen 20000 pF Festkondensator und eine entspr[echende] Spule (hier evtl. Windungen ausprobieren!) auf den Eingangskreis rückgekoppelt. Die Regelung der Rückkopplung erfolgt mittels 100 kΩ - Poti für die Schirmgittersp[annung] der Röhre. Die Rückk[oppel]spule soll so dimensioniert werden, dass man bei Regelung mit der Schirmsp[annung] nicht zu weit herunterzugehen braucht, weil sonst Verstärkung zu [ … ?] wird (evtl. bei gegebener Rückkopplungsspule d[en] Kondensator kleiner als 20000 pF nehmen oder parallel zur Spule Schichtwiderstand von einigen kΩ schalten.

[] = long form of abbreviated words, inserted by me.

Super selector
Feedback using the screen grid
From the screen grid of the valve feedback is created by a 20000 pF fixed capacitor and a suitable coil (possibly try the number of windings!) to the input circuit. Control of the feedback is achieved by a 100 kΩ potentiometer for the valves screen grid voltage. The feedback coil shall be dimensioned such that one doesn’t have to reduce the screen grid voltage too much when controlling the circuit. Otherwise gain wil be too […?] (with a given coil, possibly use a capacitor smaller than 20000 pF or connect a film resistor of a few kΩ in parallel to the coil.
I leave it to people more experienced with valve circuits to judge the correctness of the term 'Superweiche' and to fill in the missing passages.

I hope this is what you've been looking for.

Sincerely
Harald

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Thank you Harald, I really appreciate it - that is exactly what I was looking for :).