Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Phasors and Phase angles

Hamartithian

Nov 21, 2017
Hi, im trying to answer a set of questions on phasors but its made me question my understanding of phase angles. The question are in relation to RC and RL circuits.

1. Calculate the voltage and current phase angles in both circuits when the switch is kept on charge position?
  2. Identify the phase difference between voltage and current in both circuits by running Multisim simulation.
It is my understanding that phase angles are relative and would be 0 with no phase angle provided. Is there a way of calculating an inherent phase from the source (10V AC 50Hz), or am I to assume that the source phase is 0 degrees and calculate the relative current phase from that.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Welcome to EP.

The "phase shift" is indeed relative,for a single source driven circuit you may take the source to be at 0 phase.
The phase angle is dependent on the ratio of the reactive (imaginary,"j part") to the pure ohmic (real part) of the impedance of a circuit or a branch of it.

We don't solve homework questions merely help and guide.
Try solving the question and show your work,you will get remarks on it here.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Hi, im trying to answer a set of questions on phasors but its made me question my understanding of phase angles. The question are in relation to RC and RL circuits.

1. Calculate the voltage and current phase angles in both circuits when the switch is kept on charge position?
  2. Identify the phase difference between voltage and current in both circuits by running Multisim simulation.
It is my understanding that phase angles are relative and would be 0 with no phase angle provided. Is there a way of calculating an inherent phase from the source (10V AC 50Hz), or am I to assume that the source phase is 0 degrees and calculate the relative current phase from that.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

You have got to know whether the circuit is series or parallel. In a series circuit, the current is the same to/from each component, so the voltage is referenced to the current. In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each component is the same, so the current is referenced to the voltage.

Ratch